PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Came across a dealer at an antique mall today who picked up two Dunhills recently at a garage sale. Ug why not me? She did not have them on her but she later sent me this one picture with any description she could read. I own many pipes but zero Dunhills and my knowledge on them is very limited. I have not yet tried to decipher the codes and hope to at least nail the dates down on these. For some reason she thought 60's? She was throwing prices out around $300 each. Any and all thoughts and information appreciated.
IMG_6700_zps5a84fda5.jpg

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Seems high to me as well. Read Root Briar was top notch but honestly neither of the two are doing it for me. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That rascal knows what she has and is holding out for top dollar, which she may get. Two hundred per pipe might

be fair, though I'm a zero Dunhill guy too. You pay a steep tax for that name.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd have to see the actual nomenclature, but the one with a four digit model number is much later than 1960's more like 1990's, which means that it could have been subcontracted to an Italian factory. I'd also want to look them over very carefully before buying. Beauty is only skin deep and what hides under the skin can be truly scary.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Okay thanks again for the input. I will wish her luck and move on. I did pick up a Stanwell Zebrano and 7 Savninellis that I can't identify, all estates, all for $90. But that is for another thread...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My introduction to pipes has been one of slow revelations. The Dunhill mystique seems to make their product (vintage especially) one of the most reliable values in pipes.
I've been concentrating on learning how to smoke what...and have started to become more familiar with name/brand/origin of pipes and tobaccos.
I have yet to acquire a Dunhill, Peterson, or even a Dr Grabow. (Grabow's pretty good pipes, guys and gals?)

Status
Not open for further replies.