PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I just finished my first coin, and I found DNR to be a little flat. Good, but I seem to like Escudo more. So I'm going to put the rest of this tin away for a while.
Should I jar it, or just close the tin tight? I find square tins dry out quickly - noticeably before I finish the entire tin (about 2 weeks). Will the same thing happen in DNR's round tin? Got can twist a round tin closed.
I suppose that it is safer to jar it, but is there some benefit to keeping it in its tin that outweighs my perceived safety issues?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'd jar it if you intend to keep it for a while. I will say that my reaction to DNR is the opposite of yours with respect to Escudo. I find the DNR to be a bit sweeter than Escudo. Revisit it in a moth a see what you think. Happy Piping.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
BTW, there is some reason to believe that DNR and Escudo are one and the same product.
Yeah, I read that stuff. And even if it isn't the same, at this stage I'm likely to go with Escudo all the way. But, I'll stick the DNR is a jar for a while and see what happens.
Thank you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My perception is that they are different, that Escudo is both more focused and more finely balanced, the Navy Rolls more expansive, with a broader range of VA flavor. In any case the flavor is more similar than different, at least that's what I thought when I smoked tins of each side by side last fall.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The flavors are more similar than different as Mike notes, but I can tell a difference. Navy Rolls are a little sweeter, less grassiness, and a little more earth. I've always been able to tell a difference between the two, even though the latest incarnations of both are not made by the same companies who made them in the late 90s, when I started smoking them. I had the same opinion then and now, except neither is as good as they were back then. But then again, they weren't using Stokkebye Virginia back then, which I consider part or most of the reason, especially in Escudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.