PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Upon opening this tin I thought perhaps I had been short changed on volume, as it seemed a bit light. However, these rolls rubbed out quite easily and nicely filling the tin to capacity, and breaking down into a fine ribbon reminiscent of a cigarette tobacco cut. The tin aroma was distinctively Virginian with a touch of fruit, and something like oak. Although it seemed to be just right in terms of moisture, the first bowl proved this untrue and it will need to dry out a bit. Overall, it could be a bit sweeter if they wanted it to be, but it was very mild with a medium body. I have yet to truly discover the difference between any other flake and a "Navy" flake, but whatever it may be is certainly detectible as perhaps rum or whiskey, something to that effect.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Try Escudo... the same exact thing only less expensive... IMO

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
me too Roth... I bouth 10 tins when the Escudo discontinue False Alarm went off..

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I've decided to jar and cellar this for the time being, perhaps in a few months I'll come back to it. Thanks for the Escudo recommendation.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Navy Rolls are slightly sweeter than Escudo to me, and when Murray's produced it, it was even sweeter and richer. I wrote a lengthy review and comparison about it at TR.com. I like NR and Escudo, but there is a minor taste difference between the two, though not as discernible as it used to be.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I find the NR to be sweeter and definitely less peppery, I love both Escudo and NR and have loads in the cellar aging.
protestantpiper, I cube cut all my flakes and find I get a nice cool consistent burn with great flavor that way, you may want to try it and see if you like it. I find that I do have to dry this blend out for about half and hour to an hour before smoking as it has always come too moist for my tastes. You should see what happens to this stuff after a decade, it turns jet black and becomes sweeter and much creamier.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I still have 10 tins of the Murray's version. Makes me want to open one, though I have a tin of the current version open. Yeah, it is less peppery than it used to be, but it's still a great tobacco. I like Escudo, too, but what I have is the older stuff. I stocked up on NR when P&C had their sale, but I know mine doesn't compare with what Harris has, the dirty little so-and-so!! :nana: You know I'm just funning at you, Harris. Hope you don't mind. :D

Dec 24, 2012
To my taste, DNR and Escudo are currently one and the same. I know a few will disagree, and they may be right. I just don't taste any difference myself.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Hmmmm. Interesting. Lets face it, there are only "x" amount of producers / blenders out there.

430pat

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
Connecticut
I love both Escudo and Dunhill navy rolls opening both tins the Escudo seems a bit darker and the flavor not as sweet as the Dunhill my opinion only.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
The third tin of tobacco I just popped up is this. So far so good!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The current STG version of Escudo is topped, in my opinion. However, though it is tastable, I don't find it intrusive. Escudo has more brilliant flavors but shares a great deal of taste with DNR.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I to enjoy Escudo,i would like to try the Dunhill Navy Deluxe Rolls myself.I also enjoy PS LBF which iam smoking right now.I plan on stocking up on the Escudo,PSLBF,Petersons Irish Flake,and Capstan Blue Flake.
Mike.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am smoking a bowl of the NR as I type and it really is a great blend. The more I smoke it the more I can taste the difference between this and Escudo. I have smoked half a dozen tins of NR in the last year and to my tastes it is definitely sweeter and less peppery than Escudo.
If you wait for PC to come around with their buy 3 get one free deal, it is cheaper than Escudo. My last order was for 24 tins and it cost me 7.99 a tin, that is a great price for a high quality blend like NR.

Status
Not open for further replies.