PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Here’s a curious Cumberland example…
xPWCRva.jpg

The pipe has no COM or date stamp. Just “DUNHILL CUMBERLAND” and the 5-digit code…
TLe0s7U.jpg

I don’t question the authenticity of the pipe in the slightest. It has all of the necessary Dunhill DNA right down to the cut of the tenon and the shape of the stamped characters. Though, I do find it interesting that it’s missing stamping that had been part of the Dunhill nomenclature for better than half a century by the time this one was made.
My guess is that they just didn’t leave themselves enough room for the additional stamping, and then decided to leave it to fix on the next run of the shape. Maybe it’s a first-year production and the Cumberland stamp is a bit larger than the Shell stamp that they were used to (I don’t have two from the same era on hand to compare) or maybe the introduction of the 5-digit code caused some confusion for a short while. I don’t know. I just find it curious and I’d appreciate your thoughts.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Or they went drinking tea and didn't cum back on that.

Or during their tea discussion, it was decided that a date stamp was not necessary on this particular cumberland.
Timeless.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've seen it before, on similarly diamond-shanked shapes. I imagined it was lack of space. That one looks to be early 1980s, in my opinion. Beautiful!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks, lmb. I think the pipe is definitely an early production, but how early is anyone's guess.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
From an old RC Hamlin alt.smokers post, per him, those 5 digit shape codes were only used for a short window of time.
The 5 digit shape number was introduced around 1975 to “improve” the original 2 & 3 digit (letters and/or numbers) Dunhill shapes. It worked so well that it was discontinued around 1978 in favor of the current 4 digit shape numbers which are really very simple.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
For the sake of those who love details like me, I have personally owned a Shell from 1984 that had a 5 digit shape code. Just thought I'd add that to help with the window. :puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I knew Bob. He was never one to let accuracy/fact/truth get in the way of his opinions (a.k.a. emotion-derived conclusions) about things. :lol:
The 5-digit codes were in use until at least 1982:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1982-dunhill-root-briar-shape-51033

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I ran across that post as well, Al, but then I saw the 1981 Cumberland and the 1983 Root on pipephil.eu, both with 5-digit codes. So, the cutoff date for the 5-digit code appears to be fuzzier than reported.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/cumber1.html
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/root-briar1.html
EDIT: lightmybriar and georged beat me to it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was going to say "pix or it didn't happen!" (as I've read about this, but no one had yet posted a picture).

But, George's pipe is a 5 digit with 22 stamp. I'm willing to bet this one is not a forgery...
P1020052.jpg

P1020051.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK, now we're up to 1984 w/photo proof:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1984-dunhill-root-briar-shape-54951-14-bent-dublin

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@George - I think you knew Bob Hamlin? From some of his older posts, he was going to write a book on Dunhill. I guess that never happened? He must have been an interesting character.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
HEY!!! I was hoping to narrow the date down, not expand it! 8O
Al sends me a small monthly check to frustrate and harass you whenever the opportunity presents itself. What can I say? I'm obligated.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
FIRST: I've been looking for such a Cumberland. If you ever want to get rid of it, please let me know!

SECOND: Hamlin did start writing - or coordinating - the writing of a monograph on Dunhill pipes. Mr. Roger Smith (Delaware) and Bob Hamlin compiled much info, for example the dating info that R.D. Field had written. The Conclave Of Richmond Pipe Smokers (CORPS) had agreed to back the publishing of this project. Hamlin was going to sell it, the CORPS would realize (?) some fundraising to help keep our Expo going. Unfortunately, the almost finished info was sent by Hamlin, I believe, to a certain individual to get his input. That individual took that information and had it printed, using his name as author - and not remunerating Hamlin, Smith or the CORPS. After threats of lawsuits, and convincing by the pipe community, a sticker was added to the inside of the monograph, somewhat acknowledging the others and the CORPS. You can find copies of this on ebay. if you decide to get one, please realize that this was stolen information, which tells of the credibility and reputation of this person, a pipe smoker - the only pipeman I've ever heard of to be a dishonest skank. Yes, you can spit on the name of that person on your copy, for me. If you contact me, I'll tell you how I really feel.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Al sends me a small monthly check to frustrate and harass you whenever the opportunity presents itself. What can I say? I'm obligated.

Did Al include a non-compete clause in the contract? If not, give me a shout when it runs out. I have work for a man of your skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.