PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As I mentioned in the Dunhill Shape 29 thread, I finally found a CK in Shell finish that is dated from 1971. The pipe arrived today and only needed to have the stem shined up a bit. The pipe is a Group 4 and weighs right in my sweet spot at 44 grams.
One surprise is that the pipe is a 6 mm filter pipe. I spoke to Floyd at Norwood pipe repair, he can put in a vulcanite plug for about $10. Is there a better way to fix this issue? I know you can get a filter adapter for Savinelli 6 mm filter pipes, would they work in this pipe?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@mmjk: The Dunhill "Shell" finish is a sandblast:

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Dunhill#Shell

I haven't measured it, but it is petite at around 5" in total length.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice Dunhill Al. I'd go with the vulcanite plug but that's just my two cents on it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ Heh heh. I have a '71 OOM Paul on hold with Marty Pulver. You can go try to ambush Mr Jones and steal this one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up two Savinelli 6 mm adaptors today at Cup O'Joes in NY. They are just a little too large but I can modify and will try them this weekend. That failing, its off to Norwood ($8 quote for that fix...)
On a side note, I hadn't been to Cup O'Joes for two years. They've moved across the street into a lovely Craftsman style building with outstanding displays for pipes and Cigars. The lounge looked amazing. Sadly, I could not stay as I was due in another part of NY. But,I'll be back!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have one very similar to that. Can't wait to shine it up. I love the thicker stems on those old pipes. I just pulled mine open to see that it too is a filter pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting Shaintiques. My pipe has the date (11) code underlined. Does yours? I know on modern Dunhill, four-digit pipes, they put an F after the four digit code to denote filter pipes. I thought that read somewhere that the underlined date code was for filter pipes. But, now I cannot find any reference to that statement.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think the lines under the Shape number indicate a filter pipe, but my Ck does not have them. (not the underlined date code)
$_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.