PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
So my beautiful wife just informed me that my Christmas present this year is the ability to buy an estate Dunhill. I do have budget parameters and the one Dunhill I had my eye on is no,longer available so I started browsing other brands. So I need your advice. What about Castello? Which would you choose or is there another high end brand I should consider?
Thanks.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have both. I like both. Would take either one. Forced to make a choice, really like the Castellos.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You can get a nice Comoy with three-part "C" for a decent price and they're damn good smokers.
Don't get me wrong the others are good but on price point Comoy can't be beat.

jabomano

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2011
I like Cavicchi as much or better than Castello. I think both smoke much better than Dunhill. Just something about the Italian briars.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
If you like Canadian shapes, I have a very nice estate Castello Sea Rock that is available.
Personally, I don't care for lucite/acrylic stems but many Piper's swear by Castellos. I enjoy my old Dunhill's very much, but my old(pre 1960s) Comoy's are my favorites.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's my take.

-Yes, Other brands smoke as good, or better, than Dunhills. Castello's are one of my favorites, I love the wide open draw on them. But at the end of the day, you can sell your used Dunhill for as much as you paid for it........... the other brands not so much.......... :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Any of my 'brand' name acquisitions came by way of auction and aren't top shelf collectibles, but, allow me to experience some of their qualities and get an idea of their desirability.

I got my one and only Dunhill in my first year, just to say I had one, and have since been hunting for real pipe value.

I'm thinking that Costello offers a sure thing in most instances, having read the opinions of many, more experienced, pipers. We've got Barling's enthusiasts,Grabow fans, and more, all worthy of attention.

I am currently wondering how these Dunhills and Costellos compare to Charatan?

It's nice to see so many people and companies of people striving to produce aesthetically pleasing and consistently performing smoking implements.

Find the one that speaks to you, regardless of its originator, or, because of its originator.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Find the one that speaks to you, regardless of its originator, or, because of its originator.

That's the bottom line. It doesn't get more basic and sensible than that.
To address your question directly, I have no experience with Dunhill pipes, but I do own a Castello that I bought in Florence this past July. It's become my favorite smoker by far and I would encourage you to give Castello serious consideration. I plan to buy others as finances permit.
In the end, if you're planning to spend hundreds, or even more than a kilobuck on a pipe I'd be sure to go to a dealer if possible and handle your candidates. That's the only proper way to make a selection. I might buy a $150 pipe online, but not a Castello or Dunhill. Good luck, and let us know what you get.
Jim

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Both Dunhill and Castello pipes sell for significantly less in the EU than NA. I would shop around before deciding on an estate. Alpacia is great for dunhill (and most things) bollito pipes the same for castello. Generally, you want to avoid any vendor who has NA as there primary market.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Both Dunhill and Castello pipes sell for significantly less in the EU than NA.

Excellent point. My Castello KKKK Natural Vergin that I bought from Castellana in Florence cost me about $75 less than I've ever seen one retail for online here in the US. If you have to buy online check out a EU dealer as bigpond suggested.
Jim

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might want to seek out a birth year Dunhill, and if you like the shape, grab it! Or a birth year any of the above, maybe that'd make it extra special...Good luck!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I like Dunhill and have a few but to me Castello knocks it out of the water. The only brand I like more is Rinaldo.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the awesome input. I knew you wouldn't let me down. Since I already have a Dunhill I think I will go the Castello route. I found one on Neatpipes.com. Have you shopped hat site and, if so, how was your experience?
Thanks again for the input.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Look for a pipe that you like. Maybe it will be a Dunhill or a Castello. But it might be a Comoy, or a Ser Jacopo, or a Sasieni, or an Ardor, or a Barling, or a Caminetto, or some other well made pipe. Just find one that you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.