PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I was looking at my Dunhill tins this morning and pondering the differences between the blends. Collecting information from various websites, and adding my own taste notes from my archive, I compiled this little overview, may or may it not be helpful to others.
dunhillcomparisons.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Interesting. I typically don't think of MM965 as heavy on the lat - at least in comparison to Odyssey and others. Maybe that's just my tastebuds though.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I know every one of those tobaccos quite well and I have to say that your tasting notes are spot on. Making me want to go on a Dunhill rampage ha ha ha.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I do so miss my Durbar moments. Always smoked it in a small bowl because it gives me the nicups, but for that 20 or 30 min it seemed to always take me to for a ride. Great outside on a cold winter morning with a hot cup of coffee.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
As a newbie I still have to work on how to differentiate types. I thought that early morning pipe was an English blend. :)

So where do deluxe navy rolls fall in? English or oriental?
Thanks and great work !!

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi Chargerucd,
an English blend can denote a good many things, but at the heart it is a natural tobacco (as the British had a purity law that would prevent additives to tobaccos), which contains Latakia and Virginia, and often more tobacco leaf varieties.
Deluxe Navy Rolls contain Virginia and Perique tobacco, and would thus be a "VaPer" blend. Some blenders like Peterson and Orlik) sometimes call such 'natural' tobaccos English, because they believe the way the blend is cured stoved and pressed adheres to the traditional British ways to produce tobaccos. However, most smokers will only consider a blend that contains Latakia ('campfire'-smell) a true English blend.

webbedtoes

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Lately 965 has been hitting the spot. I get a nice sweetness that I can't seem to get enough of. But I bounce between all 4 available blends listed above. At any given time one could be my favorite.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
As a newbie I still have to work on how to differentiate types. I thought that early morning pipe was an English blend
I always think of it this way. An oriental blend has little or no latakia - the various orientals are the driving force. In an English blend the latakia is the driving force. And in a balkan the orientals and latakia are balanced.
Most of the time these days, though,I try to think of tobaccos the way the Brits do - either it's a blend with latakia, or it's not. :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I always think of it this way. An oriental blend has little or no latakia - the various orientals are the driving force. In an English blend the latakia is the driving force. And in a balkan the orientals and latakia are balanced.
Good way to "spell it out", Jud; I like that explanation a lot.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Great chart. I have smoked them all except Durbar. Most of the Dunhill blends are rather high on the nicotine scale scale like Mixture 965 which is one of their best selling tobbaco. I have always enjoyed London Mixture since it is a little lower in nicotine and is a complex latakia based tobacco with a provacative edge.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I'm more of a Durbar/Nightcap/London Mixture guy myself, rather than a 965/Standard Mixture :) But I agree, Dunhill tobaccos are real good!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I had my first sample of EMP this morning and was pleasantly surprised with it. It had nice notes of unexpected sweetness mixed in there and a bit if spice, too. One more Dunhill blend to add to my "likes". I've not had Dunbar, 965, or Navy Rolls yet but do like Royal Yacht.

Aug 14, 2012
Good chart. Hope you add Royal Yacht, Standard, Flake. Their Nightcap & Flake are my favorites, RY might have the most N.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I'm digging out this old thread since I've done some research on Dunhill blends. I'm somewhat surprised and confused reading that EMP is 1. an oriental and not English and 2. contains no Latakia. IMHO there's Latakia in there even if not in hefty doses. Am I'm wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.