PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One aspiration of pipe smokers is to own a Dunhill manufactured in their birth year.

My pipe collecting has not gravitated toward Dunhills, for reasons of price and whim,

but I have wondered: Since I was born in 1946, was Dunhill back in business and in

custody of quality briar by 1946, enough to be once again making quality pipes?

World War II disrupted importation of briar from the Med for years. Also, England

suffered a long economic and financial recovery that lasted even into the 1950's.

The shortage of briar caused the U.S. to make pipes out of non-briar woods like

Mountain Laurel, and some synthetic composites as well. So where there 1946

Dunhill birth year pipes, and what was their quality? This isn't PAD; it's historical

curiosity.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Oh haha ok thanks for clarifying that for me I thought it was like saying pleather which is imitation leather lol funny thing is I don't think it's the first time I make that incorrect assumption.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People forget how long it took England to get back on its feet. My wife who was also born in 1946 used to

send care packages to her pen pal, a young British girl, in the 1950's. They were rationing food and

commodities years after the war ended, and London was chopped up by the Blitz for a decade or more.

They saved some of the damage for historical places, but others just didn't get fixed for a while. This makes

me wonder if, in order to keep even reduced production going, Dunhill had to smuggle in briar blocks. It can't

have been easy. When I see lists of available Dunhills, there's a gap during the war years and after.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for the same information and came across both this thread and an article in the April 3, 1946 Chicago Tribune announcing that the first shipment of Briar for Pipes since the end of WWII arrived in the U. S. from Italy.
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1946/04/03/page/21/article/first-shipment-of-briar-for-pipes-arrives-in-u-s
I doubt that I'll every find one, U. S. or otherwise, in my price range, but at least some pipes were probably made that year.
(And my family was sending care packages to relatives in Italy well in the 1950's).

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Not sure this will help much, but I was born in 1946 too. I half toyed with the birth year pipe idea for a while, and then decided that it would pure luck to find a Dunhill in that year that I could actually afford. Then I came across a Peterson on ebay and after doing a little research found that it was made between the years of 1945 and 1947. (most likely) I won the auction and restored the pipe which I decided would be my birth year pipe, and it was less than $50 too.
So if you can't find a Dunhill to fill your birth year pipe dreams, look for a Peterson birth year era pipe!

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Bruyere was/is a Dunhill proprietary name, like Shell Briar, or Tanshell, it signified a particular style and finish. It derives from the French word "bruyère," which means, erm, briar."
Briar is actually an Anglicization of the French word bruyère which means heather, as in the white heather shrub whose dense root wood supplies the raw material for briar pipe bowls. White heather grows in a lot of different places but only that grown around the rim of the Mediterranean is generally considered suitable for making pipe bowls.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Another 1946 vintage here. Born Jan. 4th, so I guess I'm in the leadership role for Baby Boomers. I. too, have thought of a birth year pipe, but only occasionally search, to no avail thus far. As mentioned, an increasingly rare commodity, kinda like us. :lol:
I've mentioned before that I have my father's Bryson that my mother gave him as a "Welcome Home" gift in 1945 when he returned from the European theatre. Given that I was born not quite 8 months later (preemie), I consider it my "conception" year pipe, which actually has more meaning because it was my father's.
Either or you other '46 Vintage guys come up with a birth year pipe?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
It's nice that you have that pipe of your father's & know the story behind it, checotah.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My hardest fought for Dunhill was from my fathers birth year, 1944. 'Twas hard but I found one... Rough shape stem but quite nice!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
One thing that is probably not very well known is rubber was a wartime necessity so it could not be used as stem material. Dunhill used horn for stems during the war with a note that when the war was over and production returned to normal the owner of the pipe could return it to Dunhill where a rubber stem would be fitted and the pipe returned. If you have a wartime Dunhill and it sports a horn stem it is original to the pipe.

banjo

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dunhill used horn for stems during the war with a note that when the war was over and production returned to normal the owner of the pipe could return it to Dunhill where a rubber stem would be fitted and the pipe returned. If you have a wartime Dunhill and it sports a horn stem it is original to the pipe.
Exactly so. I have a "Loring WW II" pipe with a vulcanite stem and a 6 date mark, but this refers to when the stem was replaced in 1946, as Banjo points out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great historical pipe note about the horn stems, with assurances of replacement after the war was over! I admit I haven't looked very hard for "my" 1946 Dunhill with several excellent pipes as gifts, and a few PAD attacks. Maybe I'll find one in a remote antique store fitted with a horn stem, unsmoked in an original box for $30. Right.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Occasionally I get the urge to get a birth year Dunhill (1947) but there are very few of those and they are straight stems. Oh, and very expensive.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
kcghost, like you I prefer a straight stem pipe and I'd rather keep it a Group 4 or smaller as well. No matter how hard I tried a Dunhill form 1950 always alluded me be it by auction or private sale. This 1948 Group 3 Pot Dead Root DRR C-EE with fantastic angel hair like grain became available at an excellent price so I grabbed it and it's a splendid smoker.
52735a95424c5bace2c82be2ddc5c75f53e20a7.jpg

Of corse 2 1/2 years later 2 beautiful Shell Innertube's Group 2 became available the same week, one from 1950, the other was owned by Sir Alfred's grandson, Richard Dunhill, happy to report I own them both, cheers.

banjo

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
if you happen across a 1949 while you are looking for a '46 let me know.
Ditto for 1948!

Status
Not open for further replies.