PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I am very tempted by a Dunhill 4110 Bing shape. Does anyone own one of these? Are they good smokers?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Let me begin by saying that I'm not the right guy to talk you out of it. Obviously you need to buy it. Discipline is for little girls.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
OK. I'll ignore that for a minute.
Why do the Euro sites (Al Pascia and Novelli) have narrow silver bands?

ruby-4110-novelli-1-600x211.jpg

and the US sites have wide bands?

dunhill_rubybark_3110_c_1__80249145217819312801280-bing-311020134b-600x600.jpg

I want the wide band but I also want to save $200.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Stan, I am a Bing fan. I have almost every finish of the Savinelli Bing, and figured I needed to have a Dunhill 4110 to complete my collection. My opinion... not worth the money. It smokes great, I won't deny that. But... for what you will pay for that Dunhill, you can have a custom made pipe from Scottie Piersel, Basil Meadows, or Clark Layton, made exactly to your specs, and much more in line with the style that Bing actually smoked. In addition, I found the stem to be uncomfortable. They don't make the shank thin enough to get a good natural taper that leaves it comfortable at the bite point. Just my opinion.
If none of that matters to you and you just want a Dunhill... then go for it, lol. :wink:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
That's a beautiful Rubybark. I have Boswell Pipes making me a Bing based on the measurements of the pipe that Bing Crosby smoked. It will have the wide ban like Bing had on his pipes.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for the useful advice. I still greatly prefer the wide band and the texture of the pipe in the picture from Cup O' Joes. The European versions would cost me $400 but the one from Cup O' Joes would cost me $650.
In spite of the serious hit I have taken to my manhood, I have decided to take a pass on this Dunhill.
Have new Ryan Alden, Ashton, Moretti and Tinsky pipes that I have just barely begun to enjoy.
I also have this "Bing-like" Savinelli Roma 706 which has the same dimensions as the Merchant Service pipe.

savinelli-roma-706-002-033-23861.jpg

I really like this pipe. I can smoke it when I want to feel like the great man.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I also have this "Bing-like" Savinelli Roma 706 which has the same dimensions as the Merchant Service pipe.
I've got two of them, Stan. They are a great little pipe, and grabbed my attention for the same reason. Plus, you can't beat the damn price!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The difference is that Sav is made by faceless laborers in a massive factory.....oh wait....
Seriously though, that's a nice looking dunhill. I do like the shape but I think that would be problematic for me to clench. I guess I"m a weight weenie.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I actually like your Sav Roma version better than the Dunhill. Does it take the 6mm balsa insert?
They do.
The only real difference between the Sav Roma and the Dunhill/Sav Bing is the length of the shank and the pipe overall. The Roma is a bit shy on overall length in relation to the standard Bing pipe, be it a Merchant Services or custom jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.