PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Does anyone know when the first Dunhill Bamboo pipes were made. I have just unpacked another lot of pipes from yesteryear and have an unsmoked 41312 Bruyere with a bamboo section dated 1979. I have a few of these Dunhills (from the factory) and I am wondering if this was a prototype which came out years later. If anyone has any ideas, I can attach photos.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've seen ones from much earlier than 1979 (Shell, though, not Bruyere).
Here's one from 1952:
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/dunhill-collection/

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Ah, thankyou huntertrw and to you too, pitchfork. I just could not find anything on any dating/shape etc sites.

Great stuff- such a pool of knowledge on this forum

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I was reading an article somewhere recently which I assuredly will never find again that seemed to indicate the Whangee (bamboo shank pipe) was made in Dunhill during WWII due to a briar shortage, or some such. Less briar used if you don't need a shank on the thing.
I wonder if that's true.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks fishingandpipes, that's could well be true. I know that Alfred Dunhill gave his wood supplier (Otto Braun) a £25,000 advance in 1945 in order to start up the saw mills again because he had, literally, no briar at all. I also saw a world war 11 Peterson clay pipe on ebay the other day, which they resorted to using due to the briar shortage. Just thinking about it, I could possibly get four Dunhills (group 2 or 3) with short shanks out of one piece of plateau briar! Hopefully all will be revealed when huntertrw's Dunhill contact gets back to him.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
kenbarnes:
According to archive research conducted in London by my contact at Alfred Dunhill Ltd. the earliest reference he found to what could be termed production-model bamboo-shanked pipes was in a catalog dated 1950. As to any earlier manufacture he stated, "I cannot exclude that we might have made a few Bamboo pipes even prior to the year 1950, however, as they were not featured in the older catalogues I would confidently state that from 1950 onwards we did manufacture Bamboo stemmed pipes in larger quantities."
I hope that this information is helpful to you.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks very much huntertrw. This is most interesting as I want to learn much more about the types of new lines that Dunhill produced in the last century. I do have one or two ex-factory Dunhill 'proto types' from the Dunhill-Charatan takeover period of 1977-1978 which I find fascinating. 'How to create value from a beautifully grained piece with a flaw in the shank'.

Status
Not open for further replies.