PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
looking for feedback on the new baby's bottom and russ' match blend. first of all, is the dunhill BB as good as it used to be? is russ' match accurate?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had both and I think Russ' match is better. I smoked the Baby's Bottom blend in the early '70's but memories fade over time so I just judged both of the new blends on each of their merits.

BB is not a strong blend but very satisfying.

I plan to order a pound of Russ' match because it is that good.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
i thought i might hear this. if russ can "nail" balkan sobraine, then BB shouldn't be that much of a challenge for him. is there anyone else that's done an A/B comparison on the two?

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I have a silly comment. The name Baby's Bottom does not entice me. I think of powder smells and baby oil. Why on Earth was a tobacco given this name?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
maxx, good point -- I think the image is of smoothness, a kind of synesthesia replacing the smoothness of an infant to the smoothness of taste, but the maternal feelings evoked aren't a great match for the predominantly male pipe smoking population. Or that's my take.
I haven't had Dunhill's BB nor Russ' match, but I am really impressed with Russ' version of Walnut, which is Chestnut in their HH Midtown series. There are six tobaccos in this tub tobacco. It's non-aromatic, the only non-aro in the series, and it keeps luring me back. If you're skeptical, try it in the pouch before you order a tub. I took the leap and ordered the tub, and for my purposes, I wasn't wrong.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
papi nailed it. I tried RussO's BB#3 vs the DH BB1938 at the Lehigh Valley PC and felt Russ's version was much the better blend. It had a much different cut, being chunkier than the typical refined ribbons that DH is known for. But the taste was fuller, more interesting and tastier all around. RussO's version is going into my Top200 Cellar; DH BB1938/Baby's Bottom - probably not.
hp

les

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
So sorry to intude on the conversation, but where does one can acquire this, what looks like a highly regarded match tobacco?

Thank you

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Based on my sampling at the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club, I ordered a pound of Russ's match. My estimation was that the Virginia's were really much richer than the Dunhill reincarnation, and that it will cellar quite nicely.
If I'm wrong about the Viginia's improving over time, I'll still have a pound of very good pipe tobacco secreted away. If I'm right, in time I'll have a pound VERY good tobacco!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How predominant are the red VAs in the match version? Been thinking of giving these a go but hesitant due to the reds. Too much and its tongue bite city.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have been told by several people that the Russ match is the better blend and that wouldn't surprise me. I for one have always been amused by the name 'Baby's Bottom' for a tobacco but them some how I could not see a Dunhill blend being sold under the name 'Goats Testicle Sack' or 'Orangutan's Rear' so given the more innocent time it was sold the name seems oddly ok.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
To the uninitiated, a baby's bottom brings to mind something smooth and soft. Once you've changed a few diapers, you begin to appreciate their pungency. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.