PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The moist content (and I found this to be true in most of the Dunhill's) is just about right to pack your pipe and light up. I am finding the tin note a little bit acrid, but not as much as in Squadron Leader. They call this blend "Scottish" because of the added cavendish, which sort of adds a sweet dimension to your smoke, but not as pronounced as in my Mixture 965. This might as well be the same tobacco as the aforementioned, but tweaked, with adjusted proportions, modified and changed in nature. In contrast with lighter mixtures, the latakia content is deep and rich with subtle silky/velvety undertones (this evokes a glass of wine). That is to say this is an after-tea latakia/orientals dominated mixture more suited for afternoon/evening sessions. Being robust and medium/full bodied at the same time, I find it quite moderate on the palate, I cannot detect any tongue bite and it is easy to smoke and keep lit for long periods of time. All and all, this tobacco is a bell ringer in so many fronts, but I'd not recommend it to all the latakia haters out there.
aperitif_zpsx1bsgoys.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Any Dunhill blend with Latakia in it tastes like a subtle variation of the others. That's why I stick to Nightcap, it's the mackdaddy.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
All Dunhill English blends are subtle variations on a theme. That's why I stick to Nightcap, it's the mackdaddy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love Nightcap but also enjoy the others for the variety. Interesting how they can be so different and yet so similar under the skin. That is the magic of blending.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Any Dunhill blend with Latakia in it tastes like a subtle variation of the others. That's why I stick to Nightcap, it's the mackdaddy.
I agree like 80%, but sometimes, subtle variations can make the difference in between a barely smokable tobacco and a dream like experience. Say for example Red Rapparee and Black Mallory. These are very similar tobaccos based on the same formula, but I like the first one far more than the second one. As for Dunhill, I guess I like My Mixture 965 more than Apéritif, but other people might have different experiences and therefore hold a different opinion. If I agree with you is because of the fact I don't see the point in having so many tobaccos to choose from when this is niche market, but variety is always appreciated never the less. Sometimes I wonder whether tobacco companies make any money at all.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the review. I have a tin of this that arrived recently and now I am keen to crack it.

robykeys82

Lurker
Nov 6, 2015
Thanks for the review! This is one of the blends I've put in my personal list of "to-try" tobaccos. The tin image is awesome, too! :D

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Great review, I recently finished my first tin of this. I noticed the sweetness you mentioned and because of it I will be exploring more Scottish blends. I have a tin of MM965 I'll have to open soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love 965, but a version without the Lat could be a nice change of pace. I'll keep it in mind next time TAD strikes. Dozens of tins still await my attention on hand!

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the review! This one's been on my list, but if it's pretty similar to MM965 I'll probably just stick to that since that one's available in bulk/loose for cheaper.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoked a tin of this not that long back. I thought it was pretty decent - I've always thought 965 was too heavy on the cavendish,myself.

Thanks for the review. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.