Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Dunhill 965 trial run

(31 posts)
  1. wcasey

wcasey

Login to Send PM

Just tested Dunhill 965 for the first time...

My first attempt at a non-aromatic did not go so well with the wife. It didn't pass the sniff test out of the tin and she gagged on the room note. I didn't like the smell of it at first in the tin (kinda reminds me of copenhagen dip. I was once a dipper many moons ago). However, I rather enjoyed the smoke. I only smoked half a bowl really slow just to test the waters and it went pretty well. I can only describe it as "a campfire in my mouth". Which was fine. Kinda smokey, spicey and sweet at different times.

I'm assuming it was the Latakia that my wife didn't like? I need some help picking another english blend that will pass the sniff test if anyone can please help. I would like to give it another go.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. chalbach72

chalbach72

Login to Send PM

Good luck with finding a blend to please the wife! I'm not much of an english blend smoker, but I hope you find one that you and your spouse both enjoy!

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try some Hearth & Home Marquee Cerberus! The wife will love it!!!(Just kidding. It's the only blend I lit up and the wife said it smelled like shit.)

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latakia won't get you far around the females but it will get them far away. In the case of us married men who love Latakia it's strictly an out of doors smoke, like way outdoors.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. wcasey

wcasey

Login to Send PM

Okay, so is there a milder english blend without the Latakia?

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. gregprince

gregprince

Login to Send PM

My wife refers to my beloved Dunhill blends by the generic term "dung-hill". It is a nearly universal problem I'm afraid.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. maxx

maxx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

965 is pretty strong. Dunhill's London Mixture is gentler. Someone else will have to comment on the Latakia content. I'm new to tobaccos, myself.

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
    ~ Samuel Johnson ~
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the problem, wcasey. The English blend is defined by its inclusion of Latakia. There are some blends that claim to be English without Latakia but I haven't tried them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife has just commented on the Dunhill Standard Mixture I'm having with my coffee and requested I remove the storm windows and install the screens.She has no complaints with my Arose, happy wife, happy life

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might try Frog Morton Cellar or Dunhills - The Aperitif both of those are fairly light according to my wife.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are various non-aromatic blends without Latakia, particularly burley blends and Virginia and Virginia/Perique, that you might try, and your wife might evaluate. If you want an English blend with light Latakia flavoring for the same sort of trial, you might try Nat Sherman 536, which is the most refined English blend I know, or Sutliff Westminster or Altadis Fox and Hound, for thriftier blends. Milder blends will have less pronounced room notes. Anything robust will be distinct to the sniffer.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife actually likes the tin note of Black House (we're both fans of peaty Scotch whiskeys and Lapsang Souchon tea), but she's less than enthusiastic about either the room note (not that I've ever smoked it indoors) or the "mustache note" left on my person. In fact, she refers to the entire genre as "Stinky Englishes" (even though a few are technically Balkans...), and prefers to mow the front lawn if I'm smoking one while doing yard work in the back.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm a huge fan of MM965 and it is my daily smoke. Much to the chagrin of my wife...it just doesn't smell appealing to non-smokers. When folks learn that I smoke a pipe, they always say something to the effect of "I love the way a pipe smells". Then "ugh" when I light up.

I think the Brown Cavendish in MM965 separates it from other Latakia blends (lots of blenders use Black Cavendish). I also like the ribbon cut, which burns so nicely. If that is all I had to smoke, I'd be quite happy.

Al

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

MM 965 is one of my favorites and the wife likes it as well. Lucky me.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

I cracked a tin of 965 the other day and found that it wasnt sweet enough for me. It's a really good tobacco though. It burns nice. Easy on the tongue. Tastes very nutty. I added a pinch of Frog Morton Cellar and love it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, Dunhill Nightcap stinks, literally. Tastes pretty good smoking it though.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. wcasey

wcasey

Login to Send PM

mso489, I've decided to go down the road of Burley as you suggested to see where that might take me. Nothing fancy to start, I got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular to test the waters.

I purchased it during lunch today and will smoke a bowl this evening after work.

I must say, the pouch smell really reminds me of my Grandpa and Uncle who were both pipe smokers. I'm sure they probably had this in their rotation. living in the country back in the 70's I'm most certainly sure that their only choices were drugstore brands.

How is the room note for SWR? I've read some reviews where people say it's pleasant and others say it smells like cigarettes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've tried to llove the Dunhills, but they can't replace Star of the East, it just seems like a much more pure campfire, much more up my alley.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. wcasey

wcasey

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I'll put the Dunhill 965 on the back burner for now or possibly try and trade with someone

I just finished smoking a half bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Regular after dinner. I used my viking that I found at the antique mall over the weekend (I really like the way it feels, light weight and smokes great for only $7 bucks). The SWR was a pretty darn good smoke for me! This was the first time I burned down to the bottom of the bowl. I wasn't expecting it because at first I thought I heard gurgling and figured I had juice built up, but then I heard it again and it was the flame crackling near the bottom of the bowl. It freaking smoked like a chimney compared to the other stuff I've been smoking which was pretty nice. No tongue bite and no sour moisture at the end. I sat it down once to use the bathroom and came back to find it still fired up! Overall it was a great first bowl. Damn this is fun!

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. marcel

marcel

Login to Send PM

I would get rid of the wife. You have to ask yourself who is the head of the household. Grow a pair or stop smoking.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the way marcel thinks. Just don't tell my wife.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would get rid of the wife. You have to ask yourself who is the head of the household. Grow a pair or stop smoking.

I know a lot of guys with that attitude. We call them "separated".

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A man who discards his nice English blends at his wife's request deserves neither.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

58 years ago 965 was my second favorite tobacco, after Sobranie white label. It was quite different from today's version; more mellow, refined and subtle, though it was a stronger Lat mix than Sobranie. I put away a lot of it and hope it will be mellower by 2020, if I am still around.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I put away a lot of it and hope it will be mellower by 2020, if I am still around"

I cannot speak for anyone else here on the Forums; however, here's hoping that you will be!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 4 years ago #
  26. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Hunter; very kind of you.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried H & H Fusiliers Ration the other day and my wife said that it wasn't to bad. it's got some black Cavendish in it, which may help it out a little in the room note dept.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  28. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

You could try Oriental blends with little or no Latakia (Latakia is an Oriental cured over burning wood).

GLP Cairo, Solomon's Presbyterian, McC Grand Orientals,Lewis' Orcilla are examples.

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

themiska

Login to Send PM

I totally agree, no wife would like English blends.
    Smoking the pipe since 1988 I really hate all aromatics. Tobacco should taste and smell like tobacco and not like a cake or candie or fruit or what ever or, it would be like asking bourbon to taste like vanilla ice cream.Anyway, try a sample of Mc Clelland Old Dog or the Drama reserve from the Oriental line.If she complains please smoke outdoors and keep her happy.....

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latakia is like garlic, a little or a lot, it goes front and center in the smell arena. I gave 965 a try (5 tins) as a changeoff from Nightcap. 965 is very nice but I like Nightcap better.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

themiska

Login to Send PM

Yes sir, Nightcap is way much better. I smoke 965 when I want to keep the wife happy ( she is trained ) hehehehehe

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   didimauw, gerryp, elpfeife, codecreatively, 64alex, jaytex969, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda