PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
While perusing my cellar last week I found a small quantity of long-forgotten (+12-year-old) Dunhill 965 pipe-tobacco which had thoroughly dried. I have always liked this blend, and understand that it contains some Cavendish. Since I was in the mood for something slightly sweeter I decided to try an experiment with it. I placed some of the 965 in an antique Ball jar and then added a bit of fresh Lane BC-A black Cavendish. My thought was that the latter would help to re-hydrate the 965 while simultaneously satisfying my confectionery craving.
I let this hybrid marry for a week, gently shaking the jar's contents periodically to thoroughly mix them. This afternoon I filled a beloved Ehrlich saddle-bit State briar, and retired to the back piazza to test my creation. Hummmm...not bad, not bad at all. The smoke was rich and full, and the BC-A pleasantly buoyed the Latakia, Macedonian, and Cavendish components of the 965.
Further experimentation with the percentages of 965 and BC-A will be necessary to fine-tune this hybrid, but it promises to be pleasant labor for the cold weeks ahead.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Glad it turned out. I remember mixing some BCA with a light English once and it was really nice -- smelled good, too.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
965 is easily one of my top three blends. While I'm usually not one for sweeter tobaccos, I could definitely see the addition of Cavendish workingto make a mellower smoke. Great idea!

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Sounds like a winner!
I find the 965 a bit cacophonous - too much going on, with the stinky stuff fighting its spicy sibling while the sugary classmates yell in a dissonant chorus. Your recipe sounds like a much needed referee added to inject some order into the mess.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I like both blends very much and have both on hand at the moment. I'll have to try tossing a small batch together and see what comes up. It does sound pretty tasty. :puffy:

howink

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
I must confess that my first reaction was, "What a waste of fine old 965!" But I must confess that my latest taste is also for similar hybrids of English with a bit of sweetness. Think Frog Morton Cellar. Think Aperitif. So good for you for mixing a bit of your own!

Status
Not open for further replies.