PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Hello,
After a 15 year hiatus from smoking, I'm starting to poke around in my collection again and will probably be posting some questions about my pipes at some point.
For now, I wanted to ask about the ~15 year old Dunhill gift set that I still have ... all 5 tins are unopened and have been stored in a cool environment.
While I'm tempted to open one of the tins, I first want to find out if there are any reasons that I should not. Such as, are all of these blends still available? If so, are they still the same quality? Is the collection worth anything money-wise? (in the same vein) is it a collectible in any way?
I'd probably be happier to simply go buy a new tin of something and leave these in tact just because.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
- Doc
i07n9At.jpg

b2J3lWO.jpg

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I just learned of the Dunhill 'eras', and these would fall within the Murrays era as I received this set in 1999 or 2000. How long will they keep if I continue to keep them in a cool environment? How could I go about estimating their value?
Thanks again,
- Doc

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
If the tobacco lasts, I might as well hang onto it for now. Since the box is opened, it sounds like it's worth less anyway. I still have the paper tape "seal" of the box, and it has the Dunhill insert card that sits on top of the tins.
Thanks for all of the info!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
A 100g tin of Dunhill Nightcap from the 80's sold on eBay tonight for $162. So you might want to wait another 15 years then.

Jan 8, 2013
They are absolutely worthless, and the tobacco will be unsmokable and rancid.... send them to me and I will properly dispose of them for you... with fire :D

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
That is a seriously nice set. Since you are just getting back into smoking, I would suggest that you put those tins aside and try a few new blends on for size (even the new Dunhills) and then go back to them when you can fully appreciate their glory.
Those are some nice looking tins and that Nightcap is going to be one hell of a smoke.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You might check with Steve Fallon (pipestud on ebay and as a member here) for an estimate of their current value. Steve is one of the foremost sellers of vintage tobacco sellers in the country.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I agree that it would be lost on me due to how long it's been since I've smoked, and how little I smoke now anyway. To be honest, I wouldn't sell it either as it was a gift, but it's exciting to find that it's becoming all the more special.
A freind of mine just opened a tin of Murrays 965, so if I get to smoke any more of that, I'll pay special attention to the experience. In the mean time I've picked up a tin of HH Vintage Syrian and am enjoying it.
- Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.