PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,
When I get to the half of the bowl or sometimes 2/3 of the bowl, I cant get a good ember and my pipe doesn't lit well. so I dump the ash and try to re light again and again. just wondering if this is the was its supposed to be or I am doing something wrong.
Thanks a lot

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Really just depends on the tobacco. Some seem to create an almost impermeable layer of ash that doesn't seem to light through very well. I just lightly scrape it, then dump it, relight and go. Sometimes it's burned down in a conical shape, leaving unburnt tobacco on the sides, so I I'll scrape/stir the sides down and in, retamp, light and puff. Just seems to be the way some tobaccos smoke.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I agree with CarolinaCW..... I find that my flake tobaccos can create a very fine ash that can seal off the airflow and bring smoking to a complete stop. Not to worry. I just use my tamper to scrape away the ash and gently dump the ash without dumping the remaining tobacco.
Tamp and relight and your back to full tobacco pleasure!

Jan 8, 2013
I very rarely have to dump the ash, but it does happen from time to time. Dump if you must, nothing wrong with it. Better to dump the ash so you can continue to enjoy the smoke, than not enjoy it because you can't keep it lit.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Yes! Its too wet down the bowl, but I thought it’s as supposed to be! I dry my tobacco before smoking, well not bone dry, because it burns too hot and fries my tongue

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Try smoking slower or use some of the Nording stones in the bottom of the bowl. They absorb moisture and don’t seem to get in the way at all.

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/nording-keystone-pipe-filters/

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
its actually about 1/3 or even more, so I have to do something about it. Those stones seem nice, have to give them a try, how many should go into one bowl? do I need to replace them after each bowl? also any other suggestion besides that?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I find it usually helps to dump a little ash about half to 2/3 of the way through a bowl if it happens to go out around then.
Yes! Its too wet down the bowl, but I thought it’s as supposed to be! I dry my tobacco before smoking, well not bone dry, because it burns too hot and fries my tongue
Your description of getting too much moisture and too much heat along with some tongue burn sounds like you may be puffing too hard rather than the tobacco being too dry.
I find that the drier tobacco makes it easier to keep lit without puffing. If that seems like it might be your issue, just focus on breathing through your nose without puffing...and with dry tobacco you may want to pack a little tighter and tamp a little more.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I find it usually helps to dump a little ash about half to 2/3 of the way through a bowl if it happens to go out around then.
Yep. A flick of the wrist can expel the loose ash outside. A bit messy inside!
Yes! Its too wet down the bowl, but I thought it’s as supposed to be! I dry my tobacco before smoking, well not bone dry, because it burns too hot and fries my tongue.

Much more drying might work.
Your description of getting too much moisture and too much heat along with some tongue burn sounds like you may be puffing too hard rather than the tobacco being too dry.
Right again.
I find that the drier tobacco makes it easier to keep lit without puffing. If that seems like it might be your issue, just focus on breathing through your nose without puffing...and with dry tobacco you may want to pack a little tighter and tamp a little more.
And again.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
To reiterate what others have said. I would try drying some tobacco even more than you do now. Then, when smoking, slow it down a bit. Perhaps you will find this solves the issue. If not, you've only lost the bit of tobacco you dried more.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
speaking of smoking fast and slow, sometimes I do small puffs, sometimes I do a very slow draw that yields very little to no smoke at all. when I try to smoke slow like this, invariably my pipe goes a way after 5 or 6 puffs :(

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Keep smoking. You will figure out your cadence eventually.

About the stones- I use 2 or 3 per bowl depending on bowl size and stone size. I usually only use them once but I imagine they could be used again if you smoke te same blend back to back

Status
Not open for further replies.