PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
have read about using bee's wax and carnuba.

food labeled bee's wax used on kitchen hardwood cutting boards?

carnuba the same used in auto waxes?

would think any of the waxes used on cars would be too aggressive and abrassive for a pipe.

thanks

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I use Burt's Bees products on my pipes and they contain both. Very easy to apply too. Another poster mentioned using Carmex, which is primarily carnauba. There may be some emollients and other things in there, but neither should harm wood or Meerschaum.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've not encountered many automotive carnuba products that don't contain some type of cleaning agent. I don't think that would be good to use on a pipe. Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax is about the only one that does not have a cleaning agent. It comes in liquid (what I use for my cars) or paste:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+YELLOW+16

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
We buy pure carnuba wax by the giant block online and cut it into smaller pieces with a hot knife. You definitely need a buffing wheel for it though. That stuff is HARD.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My carnuba wax came in flake form. I ended up melting it and pouring it into well greased muffin tins. Once set it's VERY hard and brittle. A buffer is a must.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I use bees wax from most grocery stores it come in nearly any volume you like. I melt it down and put a wick in it and let it solidify. When I re wax my meers I simply light the now candle and let it melt into a liquid. Then while I am having a smoke between puffs I use a small art brush too brush thin layers of wax on my pipe. When I am done I take a nice soft rag and buff her till she is glossy then set her up till the next time I have a smoke.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I make bees wax candles, so I always have a large amount of it on hand, and I've tried using the bees wax.

It is okay, but I still like olive oil on the entire pipe.....works great for me, and the pipe feels good in the hands once the excess olive oil is wiped off the pipe.
Also, the olive oil gives such a nice patina to the pipe, not too shiny (you should know how I feel about that right?), so for me the look, and the feel is awesome with olive oil.
BTW/ I can't stand this Kaywoodie with the missing stinger...it was a nice pipe at one time, and it is now ruined! :(

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I agree with Ranger, olive oil is quick, easy to use and find, and all you need is the oil and a rag. I have used it on the same pipe for years and have yet to find any proof to that old wives' tale about clogging pores or anything like it. Stains, waxes, and dust and debris floating in the air clog pores just the same I'm sure.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I just wipe the pipe down with a paper towel, I've never heard about such a thing as clogged pores using olive oil....you just have to wipe it down....I wonder sometimes where these stories originate from?

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Oh I don't wax my briars because I don't want to plug up the pores in the wood.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I use EVOO only on my pipes. I fill a shot glass 1/4 full, dip my finger in, and slather a thin coat all over the outside of the pipe. I let it sit overnight and wipe off any excess that hasn't been absorbed in the morning. The smoke following this procedure causes some of the oil to leech out due to the heat, but it usually stops after that. Makes the pipes look/feel fantastic!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
BTW/ I can't stand this Kaywoodie with the missing stinger...it was a nice pipe at one time, and it is now ruined! [:(]

I didn't do it................................probably.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Grouchy.... There is only one "dumb question"; that's the one that doesn't get asked.
I personally don't like to use "olive oil" on my pipes.

I have tried it, but it seems to dull too easily/quickly.

I just rub the HE-double Q out of mine with a very soft cloth.

I'll rub until I feel heat being generated and rub some more.

But, occasionally, I'll ask Skip (my tobacconist) to buff'em up for me.

He uses carnauba wax at The Briary.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
ah yes, olive oil is wonderful with what seems like endless uses. great choice! great qualities and integrity.

should be complimentary to a pipe.
i love megulars polishes and waxes. they have a detailing spray and wipe for the dash and trim that is almost too good to be true. makes it quick and easy to spruce things up. may have to break out the magnifying glass and check out the ingrediants incase there is something counter productive. it may do a nice job on a pipe.
lawrence, that is one item on my shopping list :D
everyone, thanks for your imput.

Status
Not open for further replies.