Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
Sorry to bother everyone with a question like this, but I was using some 91% Isopropryl Alcohol earlier tonight while cleaning, and being my usual clumsy self, knocked the bottle over on my desk and spilled it, completely soaking a ziplock bag containing 4 oz of tobacco. I quickly wiped it all off (though by the time I got to it, it seems to have mostly evaporated). I checked the bag to see if there were any holes or gashes in the bag, but I didn't see any. I then performed a more scientific test (my term), this time by squeezing the bag to see if it was still holding extra air, which it appeared to be.
Therefore, I was wondering, if any did get into the bag and into the tobacco, would any remaining residue (if there even is any) be of any health concern (especially as Isopropyl is unsafe to consume)? Unfortunately, my late father, who was a chemist, is no longer here or I'd ask him, as the scientific gene completely skipped my generation.
Also, what effect does Isopropyl have on plastic bags? I'm going to be jarring some tobaccos these weekend anyway, but didn't know if I had to do this one right away to avoid any possible issues with degradation of the plastic in the bag.
Anyway, sorry for the oddball question, as it has been a very trying week (the second in a row). One thing is for certain, though - From here on out the only alcohol that will come anywhere near any of my tobaccos will be that of the drinking variety.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
jpmcwjr can you elaborate? I've been using 70% isopropyl because it was recommended for use in cleaning the stem and bit (interior).

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Has the rubbing alcohol visibly deteroriated the bag? Is there evidence of dampness inside the bag?

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
No visible evidence of deterioration of the bag (I've sent moved it to a new one) and I didn't seen any evidence of moisture in it. Also, there's no noticeable change in the smell of the tobacco.

Jan 8, 2013
but that stuff has no business on the inside of a pipe.
I've used it a number of times, as have others on this site, with no negative effect. I prefer 151 rum, but Isopropyl works just fine in a pinch.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'd say you are probably okay to smoke it but I am no doctor.
Then again, a doctor would probably frown upon smoking ten year old tobacco blends, too, but that hasn't stopped me.
I only use potable alcohol for my pipes. However, I have used 99% isopropyl in other cleaning applications and lived to tell the tale so if your tobacco was not actually soaked by the liquid then I'd probably consider it safe enough to test at the very least...

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You are fine. The alcohol didnt seem to touch the tobacco. Even if it did, it will burn off when lit. No health concerns.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I've been using 70% isopropyl because it was recommended for use in cleaning the stem and bit (interior).
I used to use isopropyl for cleaning my pipe, then they started to taste off. I switched to Everclear. They taste clean and fresh now.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I am not a dr but you should be fine. Be careful not to get the alcohol on the stem or the pipe itself. It will discolour and remove stain. The iso being potentially on the tobacco should be fine. We used to make a certain cannabis based product with the help of iso when I was in my teens. No one has died.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Isopropyl alcohol is what is used in Berger lamps and to clean some fragile polymer pasta with normal alcohol, it should not damage the pipes nor be toxic.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I use nothing but 99% isopropanol for disinfecting things, wounds, and stuff. I did use it to disinfect my first pipe after I got it, but after that I decided that if I can't drink it, I don't want it on my pipe. I use gin now.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I didn't say anyone would die, but many adhere to what olkofri writes. Some taste the addition to the alcohol that makes it non-potable.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I've also used isopropyl alcohol in my pipes with no issues whatsoever. There is nothing added to isopropyl alcohol that makes it non-potable, as it isn't intended to be consumed to begin with. It is actually a completely separate molecule from ethanol, and once evaporated(which happens nearly instantly) is completely non-toxic. It actually leaves less oil traces than Ethanol does when it evaporates, so being worried about residue shouldn't be a thing. That said, I do understand the desire to use something meant to be a consumable on an object that you plan on sticking in your mouth.
Denatured alcohol on the other hand should not be used in pipes as it does have poisonous additives, namely methanol, which is bad juju.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree with badbeard, isopropyl alcohol evaporates rather quickly and I've used it for years. I could tell no difference use-wise between Everclear and 91% iso. The Iso is cheaper and a lot easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.