PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
So I was looking for another pipe today and came across a Ben Wade pipe that really caught my eye. My better judgement was gone, so I orderd it. A dublin is a shape that I do not have in my collection, Sometimes I think a shape has alittle to do with the smoking qualities. So I was wondering what some of you all think of the shape?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dublin shape seems to take more shapes than nearly any other pipe. I have two classic Dublins, but some Dublins

verge closely on billiards and other wander toward Calabash and Zulu. I think a given pipe shape is mostly for the human

eye, to be alluring and appetizing. The tobacco doesn't "know," in a give depth, diameter and shape of the chamber (not the bowl),

what shape a pipe is. There may be some effects of heat dissipation between pipe shapes, and that may affect burning somewhat,

but it would seem a pretty subtle variable. So I think a Dublin may smoke more like a billiard than another Dublin, just depending

on those three pipes. I don't think particular shapes come with specific smoking characteristics per se.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I can't speak to the smoking qualities because I don't have one (yet). I can say that I have always liked the look of them and will add one to my collection someday. Hope you enjoy yours!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have two Dublin shaped pipes myself from Savinelli, the Caramella and the Solaria in the 920 KS. I love those pipes. That shape is just wonderful! It's balanced well for clenching and has a wonderful contour for occassionally holding it as well. Whenever I'm looking at Savinellis I always check and see if the 920 KS is available.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I'm smoking a dublin right now, I like this pipe and I would like to put a longer chrurchwarden stem on it. I like the way it smokes although I don't smoke flake in it. I burns pretty evenly down to the bottom and I rarely have to relight no matter what type of tobacco. I smoked some EF in this pipe once and it did stay lit very well I might add.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I love the look of a Dublin and a Zulu, and have about 5 of them. They are different makes, so its' probably just the fact that I tend to push a pipe more than I should(still working on slowing down), but they tend to get hot to the feel. Though they all smoke well, I don't smoke them as often because of that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have more Dublins in my collection than any other shape. In my opinion they make fabulous flake pipes and I love the look of them. Nice thick walls,conical bowl, and my group 4,5 and 6's are all great for my flakes. I also believe everyone should try at least one because once you do, it will not be your last.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
I like the history of the Dublin. It was one of the earliest briar shapes in mimicking the shape of old clay pipes. That being said, it is totally inferior to the Bulldog.
Hint: Everything is inferior to the Bulldog.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I love Dublins (and Zulus). But I must admit they are not among my favorite smoking shapes. I smoke a lot of flake tobaccos, but I don't fold-n-stuff them, so the Dublin shape doesn't make a difference to me in that regard. I must say I really do love the shape. But I tend to smoke hot so a taller, narrower bowl is not optimal. I prefer smoking wider, thicker-bowled pipes.
All that said, I'll probably end up with another one... and another one... simpy because I like the look of the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About the overheating problem, I have a Britannia in a Dublin shape with nice thick walls to the bowl,

that is light as a feather and smokes cool as any pipe I own. I don't think that briar or talent gets passed

from Dunhill to its other pipe divisions, but someone at Britannia knows his/her stuff. My Parker is also

a fine smoker. It's a poker, which seems unusual in the Parker line, or I haven't seen them much, anyway.
On the other hand, I had a Chacom Dublin with beautiful lines that was just drilled too small, or the

stem was too narrow, and I held lint from a pipe cleaner every time. Never had the problem over many

years, so I traded that baby for something better. Lovely pipe ... to look at.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I only have one, a cheap little no name but it's a great smoker. I'm keeping my eye out for another, but with a saddle bit.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have an Ashton Dublin that I purchased several years ago. I would sell my house before I sold that pipe. It is wonderful on flakes, and anything Virginia.
I absolutely worship that pipe. It is not in any sort of rotation, since it is the prince of princes. I just smoke it when I feel the need of that subtle Dublin look.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I only have two Dublin's but will be adding to that number. They are great for smoking flakes. I really enjoy the two I have now.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I primarily smoke Virginia flakes. Dublin's with conical bowl are ideal for that genre of blends. Smoking a Dublin as I type this. Dublin and Rhodesian are my favorite shapes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It's sad that there are no photos in this thread.
This thread is so old, it predates photography... :lol:
viking-1-600x337.jpg

This is my Viking Classic Dublin, my favorite VA Flake/ODF pipe. Now we have an image!
Welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
I only have two Dublin's but will be adding to that number. They are great for smoking flakes. I really enjoy the two I have now.
Do you mean using fold and bent way to stuff those flakes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.