PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
These are throwing me off. The cant seems more like a Zulu but the stem is a "military", making it a Dublin? These are Civic Royale pipes made before the great takeover of so many of the London pipemakers. The style of the imprints puts these probably made in the 60's or earlier, I think. Experts?
s-l1600-51-600x363.jpg

s-l1600-8-600x407.jpg

I get mixed up, but a Zulu also has to have an oval stem, right? Or else it's a Woodstock or a yachtsman?

They are all dublins because of the bowl shape, but the cant and bend puts it in a specialize dublin subcategory. I have several semi bent slightly canted dublins that were never labeled zulus, and I always assumed it was because of the round stems. I see zulu and woodstock used as interchangeable terms on pipe shape charts. But, the ones that just use "woodstock" as the term had round stems. So... what do you guys think?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dublin. But I thought a military mount had a metal - usually silver- cap at the end of the shank into which a tapered stem fit.... ??

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree the classic zulu has a slight bend in the stem as well as the Dublin-like bowl. My zulus with bent stems also have the oval shanks. That's the classic recipe. You always have hybrids and variations, but a pipe with those features is a zulu for sure. The others you can discuss and ponder while puffing with friends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Okay, here's a Dublin, but with the subtly curved outer bowl, it gives the illusion of a forward cant making it appear to be a Zulu. A Zulu has the Dublin shaped forward canted bowl and always a bent stem.
002-599-0674.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
JPMNOP, a spigot has to have metal, but a military mount does not. Where did the question come from Jp.... (How do you say your name, anyways?)
John will do!
Anyway, all spigots I've seen, and the five or so I have, have metal on both shank and stem. Agree those are saddle stems in the first photo in the o.p., but now unclear on military mount. A tapered stem for sure, no? Most militaries do seem to have a metal cap on the shank, but haven't been looking for those. I am a spigot supporter!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No. I have seen several stem types, though the archetype is a bent, tapered oval, but as long as the bowl is canted and the stem has a bend, it can be a Zulu.
My Weber Zulu.
img_20170125_135026-337x600.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Nice. Well, I have learned a valuable lesson. Ask for advice here first, before buying. I did think I was getting a couple of small Zulu Civics. But I guess I am getting a couple of small Dublins. I have no idea which 2 pipes I am going to receive because the seller sold 2 sets of 2 but used some of the same photos twice. I do know I am getting the box so maybe those 2 pipes are mine. But for 13 dollars total, I should not complain if they can be cleaned up and smoke well. Thanks everyone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Clear enough. Thanks. Now, do they all have a non briar receptacle? I kinda imagine they do, as over time, the tapered stem would work the mortise apart.
Nice Prince!

Status
Not open for further replies.