PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
I have been smoking a pipe for over 10 years now and just re-learned a good lesson I plan on practicing more often. Drying. I usually let tobacco sit out for a few minutes and then let it sit once packed for a few more, but I left two coins of PS LBF sit out (not on purpose) for over 24 ours and the blend smoked amazing this evening when I lit it. (And I already liked the results I was getting the way I was doing it before). It was the zen smoke.
While 24 hours may be a bit much in some cases, it may be just enough in some and possibly not enough in others.
The lesson is: take time to give it a good drying and reap the awards of the extra step.
Just wanted to pass it along. Happy puffing! thbg

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I too just recently rediscovered the benefits of drying. I bought a blend from my local B/M that was advertised as an aromatic. I was horrible or so I thought. In frustration I let it dry for a couple of days and surprise ! It took on an entirely different flavor. The taste difference was nothing short of amazing. Now I always take that extra step. It's worth it.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Found a tin of Peterson's University Flake I had opened months ago and forgotten. It was pretty dry

and ruined I thought. Tried a bowl and it smoked real nice....

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Drying is always good for providing a better smoke on many levels. I am usually either too busy or lazy to get around to it, so it is probably only 50% of the time that I let it dry out. Smoke is still good no complaints, but drying would make it better I am sure.

Although I believe that it also depends on the blend. Certain blends arrive to you already fairly dry while others are damn near soggy.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Definitely propose dry time; it can change things. There have been many blends that are ready to smoke right out of the tin that I don't enjoy (Virginias and VAPers, it seems) but when I give them even just 10-15 minutes of air time they become great smokes.
I think, especially with Perique, the air rounds out the flavors.
You do have to plan for it, but sometimes that's half the fun.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,

I'll throw a dissenting opinion out there....

I know that drying is actually desirable for many blends.

One I can think of straight away is Samuel Gawith Grousemoor.

If it's dry as a bone, then the tastes are much brighter and easily discernible than it is straight out of the tin.

However; as I discovered just recently, some tobaccos suffer from drying.

Specifically Perique.

All I'm saying is that some tobaccos do not improve with drying.

IMHO

:puffy:

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
@Lawrence

I have noticed that Samuel Gawith tobacco, especially the flakes, requires some drying as they arrive to you very moist.

I also agree with you when you say that some suffer from being dried. It really all depends on what you like and the type of tobacco.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Holly Smokes.... Told you earlier about the University Flake I let dry out to long. Learned

a good lesson today:

Packed a meer with it early this morning while I was typing the earlier post... smoked it about

10 minuets before I decided to move to the lake camp, so packed my stuff. Did several things

that needed to be done and finally got to my chair, lit the meer again and Wow! I'm not positive

as to what happened, but you know how smoking causes condensation in the pipe and stem? It did

something I never hit on before, but it was great. Anyway.... try it... let us know

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Certain blends I smoke need considerably drying, SG Best Brown too name one. I let it sit out usually an hour before smoking. My Escudo and Reiner Long Golden which are vapers need no drying,Solani Silver flake needs none. I make sure that whatever I choose to smoke has the proper amount of humidity in it so I can enjoy the blend in it's optimum condition. There is nothing worse in my opinion of smoking something too wet, it burns hot and will scorch your tongue.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
alright, noobie question, what is too dry?

I get the pinch for too wet but what is too dry? :cry:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Too dry is when you try to pack it... and then you accidentally turn your tobacco into snuff in the process.
Otherwise if it tastes good to you you're good to go.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
Aren't most cavendish tobaccos suppose to be a little moist when smoked? I have one flavor that is actually quite moist and I use it to mix in with other tobaccos that are dryer. Haha has this been a bad practice? I always seem to have great smoke and amazing flavor!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I think some aromatics like Captain Black need a good amount of drying. An older gentleman a while ago told me to ," pack a bowl before you go to bed. Go to sleep and smoke it the next day." Works like a charm! :puffy:

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
"too dry" is when it is very, very crunchy and crumbles into dust. It is going to burn hot as hell.
It is really impossible to dry out cavendish blends too much, in my opinion. I have left some Boswell blends out overnight and they are still too wet for me to keep lit in some cases.
I give CB a good long dry time especially if you get it in the pouch. It makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.