PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
When drying tobacco in the microwave does it leave behind any odor inside the microwave or in the surrounding area?

Someone once mentioned putting in a glass of water to have something for it to push against, anyone try that?

Lastly what do you put it on? Paper plate, ceramic, paper towel, coffee filter. I realise I can use any of these but curious what you all personally use...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Paper towel, newspaper or ceramic dish. Or a plastic top from a tin for a small amount. Odor? Not much if any after a short while, unless your lady is noticing you do so, then there's a huge odor!

I just put mine in a little coffee filter and run it no more than 10 seconds, usually 8 seconds. It doesn't come out dry, but warmed, and letting it set on the counter for a few more seconds brings it to a perfect dryness. If I want it crunchy, I will leave it on the counter for a bit longer, maybe a full minute or a couple of minutes.
I never noticed a lingering odor in the microwave. But, I am merely warning it in there. The drying takes place after I remove it from the microwave.
I haven't found a need to put a cup of water in there with it. It seems like that would require you to run the microwave for longer. And, I only ever use the microwave if I am in a hurry.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Ok cool, thanks, and yes I would only attempt it while the wife and daughter are gone or sleeping. Somehow my microwave is almost 20 years old and was a cheapy to begin with and if they saw me do it, if and when it breaks it will definitely be cuz of the time I nuked my tobacco.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Is there an odor in the microwave from whatever they cooked in it earlier?

Don't make your tobacco smell like broccoli or whatever!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We never really cook anything in the microwave, though it gets used several times a day. Reheating coffee is number one. Heating frozen food (e.g., here it's pot pies) and that's about it.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
You nailed it there eggrollpiper. That one time you nuked a bowls worth of tobacco will end up being the cause of many things now and in the future lol.

Dec 24, 2012
I only nuke a few of the SG blends, which seem overly wet to me. My process for FVF is described below, and I find no residual smells in my microwave.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/prepping-fvf

Status
Not open for further replies.