PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
If you think your tobacco is slightly too moist, how long do you let it dry, and do you just put it on a piece of paper, or paper towel? Something else?

I have only had a couple of what I considered to be too moist tobaccos, but I just dealt with the numerous relights, etc, since I wasn't sure if I should dry it for minutes or hours.

-PM

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
All depends on the blend mate. When I get a pouch of CBW, I empty the pouch on a piece of newpaper, spread it out and let it dry overnight. Most of my tins, I leave the top loose for a week or more. It all depends on the baccy and the personal preference. Walnut gets 0 drying time, Penzance gets about an hour, Stonehaven gets about an hour, etc

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I hadn't even thought about drying the whole batch. I was thinking I had to dry what I was getting ready to smoke, and I don't have that kind of patience. Drying the jarful makes more sense.

Thanks!

-PM

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It all depends on the baccy and the personal preference.

That pretty much sums it up.
Some tobacco I will leave out overnight to dry if I know I will want to smoke it in the morning. Some I don't bother to dry at all.
I like to keep enough 1-Q for several days in a pouch that is not airtight, to it is always slowly drying. It is ready to smoke right away the first day, and it never seems to dry too much after several days.
I think drying time is only important when you become fanatical in that search for the elusive "perfect" smoke.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I think drying time is only important when you become fanatical in that search for the elusive "perfect" smoke.

That's kind of the conclusion I have come to as well, but thought I would see if I was missing something important.

-PM

Jul 15, 2011
I hadn't even thought about drying the whole batch. I was thinking I had to dry what I was getting ready to smoke, and I don't have that kind of patience. Drying the jarful makes more sense.
This is actually what I do and it works great for me. The only thing I do is I make sure I plan out my smoke about 15 minutes ahead, and what I do is set the tobacco on a piece of paper and take a 40 watt desk lamp bulb to it. The heat from the bulb dries even the most goopy aromatics in about 20 minutes maximum. English blends only take about 10-15 depending on who makes the blend and how dry they ship to begin with.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
I stay in the tropics so unless drying in the sun, it is almost impossible to dry the tobacco. So I use uwave oven. 30secs mid power. If not enough, another 20-30secs. Just with paper below the baccy. Didn't know I can get that much condensation from that. It's "smoking" wet after the grill.
Just leave then to normal air dry after that and all is good to go.
But just a reminder, I stay in the tropic (RH ~80%) so this might be too much for other climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.