PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
In an attempt to keep the house I'm in smelling fresh I've started keeping my pipes in air tight containers, either a Pelican case or an ammo box. The Ammo box is nice because it holds a lot more pipes and cost a lot less.

Unfortunately without air movement it seems moisture is a bit of an issue, so I've taken to burying my pipes in a mason jar half full of rice for a day before putting them back. Along with an alcohol soaked shank brush and pipe cleaner after every bowl this seems to be keeping the pipes and the storage smelling reasonable (I also bought a few 1lb bags of dessicant, unfortunately the Pelican is won't fit one of those).

Given how quickly instant rice dries out a glass bowl I may have to try that next.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
The point of resting pipes is to allow them to air out and dry. Use pipe cleaners keep a fluffy in stem. To help. Shel

If the pipes are starting to smell, try just placing a bowl full of unground coffee beans out somewhere around your rack. They will absorb the odors, without you having to put the pipes in a container. I keep a paper bag of coffee beans in my big pipe bag that I put ten+ pipes in at a time for travel. This really helps. I hope this can work for you too.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Buy a skunk. She won't mind the pipes after that!

I think this is a non-issue. Pipe bowls do smell a little but you have to be quite near them. I believe it likely this is more psychological pressure. Some people these days seem to think that tobacco is as harmful as cyanide or that a child will get asthma from brushing against the coat of a man who once smoked a cigar.

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks Cosmic, I will try the Coffee beans ASAP.

Just for clarification this is more of a rental situation, but odor can cost you a lot of money in a hotel if they get a whiff of the smell, so the applications are many.

Shhh, I don't really smoke in hotels and rental car when the situation permits. But, If I did, I would spray Ozium to kill the smoke particles and neautralize the air (whatever that means). Hypothetically speaking, in a rental car, just turn on the air conditioner and spray into the floorboards to reach the intake and circulate it through the air system. Or, if an inconsiderate jerk was to smoke In a hotel just spray it into the intake and let it circulate through the air conditioner. Of course I wouldn't do that, but hypothetically speaking...

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
That coffee beans suggestion is pretty interesting...I'll have to give that a try.
The wealth of information on this forum never ceases to amaze me!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just keep mine in the cabinet. I try to make sure I only go a day or two at the most without cleaning them. I also have a box of baking soda in there with them like people do in the fridge to draw in some of the smell. You can't smell the pipes at all in the room when the cabinet door is shut.
I've only been around the hobby for about five or six years, but I don't think leaving pipes in a mason jar of rice is the best of ideas.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I did the coffee bean trick with some pipes that I was taking with me overseas. Sadly, the TSA equivalent in France said I could not bring the bean into their country, so they had to be scattered in the trash. Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.