PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
So can aromatics be too wet? I’ve heard some say dry aromatics and I’ve heard some say you loose flavor if you dry them!!

I have started to set aside what I’m gonna smoke and let it dry for anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight

( I feel asleep watching tv after setting it out )and I think it has really helped

With toungue bite and excessive moisture and I think I’m getting more flavor!! Definatly a cooler smoke!!
My logic is that the flavoring is most likely oil based and I don’t think oil evaporates so as long as it’s not crunchy or turning to dust it’s not to dry right?

Also my bowl seems to be dry after a smoke whereas before sometimes it was a goopy mess!!

Experiment, and decide for yourself. I find that different aromatics require different treatments. Not all of them are goopy PG filled Cavendish crap. So, I cannot make an overall assessment of the whole genre. Really, we can never make absolutes over any entire genre. Each and every tobacco has it's own needs and requirements. Just play around. This should be an exciting part of the hobby for you. Besides, just because Billy Bob Noteeth likes to do it one way, doesn't mean that you will find the same pleasure he does from doing that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
W- I think you're onto it.... In my experience, aromatics start out as too wet, always. And I don't like the feel of glycol on tobacco.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for the input and encouragement!! I am really enjoying playing around with different methods and techniques

And learning a lot as I go!! Could one dry there tobacco to there liking b4 jarring or would that be bad?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do that all the time, so I have quite a bit on the counter that's ready to smoke, perhaps 8-12 blends in jars. But for cellaring, I generally store as it comes.
Having a small hygrometer ($5 on Amazon) has paid large dividends to me. I now have 4-5 of 'em.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
What exactly does a hygrometer do? Is it a moisture meter? And how does it werk?

Yes, moisture meter

Could one dry there tobacco to there liking b4 jarring or would that be bad?

You could, if you didn't care for any aging that may occur. But, if it is an aromatic, it probably has too many chemicals to get any real aging anyways. Soooo... as usual... it depends. :puffy:
I will dry out some blends, such as Samuel Gawith flakes before aging, because I just hate how much water is in there to begin with. But, I have been known to re-hydrate some D&R blends before jarring to get the effects of aging. But, if you are just jarring it to smoke out of, then dry away. I usually dry out my entire tin upon opening it to smoke.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Ok that’s what I was thinking!! I can’t remember which thread I read it on but someone else mentioned

That aros don’t age much as well

Remember that not all blends in a genre are alike. Some of the crap you will hear us say on the forum is over-generalizations. Some aromatics age very damn well. But, most not so much. Solani makes a damn fine aromatic that comes to a nice balance of tobacco and aromatic flavors with over three years of age on them. G&Hco also makes some fine aromatics that age very well also.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Good to know Cosmic!! I’m still getting my feet wet with all the reading available on the forum here my plan thus far is anything long term storage goes in a jar as I receive it

And anything two oz or less that is getting smoked shortly after receiving I will dry to my liking and then smoke it. I don’t ever see drying an entire lb before jarring!!

I’m sure intime like most forums of any subject il begin to know who knows what and who don’t as well as what generalizations apply and what specifics apply to certain blends and genres

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can’t remember which thread I read it on but someone else mentioned

That aros don’t age much as well
They age fine, they just don't have a dramatic change like Virginias.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I don't like the feel of glycol on tobacco.
Me either, jp. If I want goop on my hands, I'll get a tub of GoJo or Crisco.
Each blend's different. Some need Duane's nuke method, some need laying out of a paper towel all night, & some just ain't gonna dry no matter what you do. Ask ccw what he thinks of Captain Black. :twisted:

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've have an 8 oz. open tin of Mohawk Rver and it hasn't dried out in over a year. Still a bugger to get going but my wife loves the smell.

piper64

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 21, 2018
Northern Ireland
You're not wrong about the Samuel Gawith being wet Cosmic, I ordered 2 tins and they came in a huge box with a snorkel and flippers :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A hygrometer is not a moisture meter, but an affordable proxy for same. It measures the relative humidity of the air. When the air is contained tightly, as in a jar with tobacco, given time it will give a good reading of the moisture level in the tobacco.
A moisture meter reading for tobaccos will be in the teens, whereas about 65% RH at 70º is a good level for smoking. There are charts that give equivalency, but temperature is one of the factors for determining RH.

Status
Not open for further replies.