PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have been bulking up on my tobacco stores as of late. The winds of change and tobacco legislation and created a perfect storm. It has allowed me permission

From SWMBO to lay in a supply of tobacco.

I am not a prolific smoker so a tin will typically have time to sit around and wait while I try my best to smoke it. The time can be compounded if I have several tins open at the same time.

I currently have a tin of Peterson's University Flake opened sometime in February.

The first bowl of this blend was an awakening. I loved the flavor and got all the hints of plum etc. My second, third and subsequent bowls were not as good. I enjoyed it, but as of a couple of weeks ago, still had half the tin left over. I never seemed to have the same initial experience.

I attributed it to my ever evolving tastes in pipe tobacco.

I later acquired a tin of Escudo. I smoked a few bowls and absolutely fell in love with it. I went to the forums and posted my experience and a few mentioned the heavy hand of Perique in the blend. I really didn't feel like I got all that much Perique. I felt it was slightly peppery, but not overwhelming.

Now fast forward until earlier this week.I decided to man up and finally finish off the tin of Peterson's so that I could have opportunity to try another blend from the cellar.

I am trying to sample enough tobaccos to know my preference well enough to bulk up.

The Peterson's had only been left in the tin and not in an air tight container. When I opened it the flakes had dried quite a bit. They hadn't gone crispy but broke apart quite easily.

I see to have found the initial flavoring.It burns like a dream, and tastes wonderful.

I had since left the tin of Escudo to the side while I enjoyed the dryer and more improved University Flake.

When I revisited the Escudo it to had dried quite a bit. Again it wasn't a crispy consistency but it broke up easily. I tried a bowl, and low and behold the Perique had moved forward quite a bit.

I love the bite of this blend now. I am more convinced this is a great blend. The spice is up front and leading the charge.

Is drying a key I have been missing? Have I come upon something that works for me? I am not sure.

This will surely take many more bowls to figure out.

I have my work cut out for me... And I love my job!
---> Jim

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I think it has something to do with the consistency of the smoke being just right. When it's damp and all tightened up together you get wet spots in your pipe, heat takes over, and it just changes the consistency of the flavor. I dry out all of my flakes, period. I don't cube cut either, just fold it over and let it rip. Good luck figuring out your blends.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have noticed myself that I prefer my tobacco on the drier side. I had a tin of Escudo opened that underwhelmed me when I first opened it. I let it sit in the tin for a month or so and it was pretty dry when I next tried it, completely different smoke. I have since started drying my tobaccos much more before smoking them, almost to the point of crispy and it seems to work for me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
twang:
The first bowl of this blend was an awakening...

My second, third and subsequent bowls were not as good...

I never seemed to have the same initial experience.

I have experienced exactly the same thing! Maybe it's just the taste buds reacting to the novelty of new flavors. I dunno.

As a consequence I have a lot sampled blends laying around in Mason jars.

Not to worry, after a several weeks I revisit them and they taste better (again).

I dry out my tobaccos so frequently that I have a Heat-It craft tool to dry just the amount I'm about to smoke.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have experienced exactly the same thing! Maybe it's just the taste buds reacting to the novelty of new flavors. I dunno.
Same here.
I have found in my very limited experience with flakes and VAs that leaving them in an unsealed tin can be a good way to mellow out the flavors. If there's a blend I don't like, I find that I may do a complete 180 in as short as a few weeks or months.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
In my experience Uni flake gets way better on the dry side. Out of the tin I just dont get anything from it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flakes exclusively and some are perfect right out of the tin and some need significant drying before the flavors peak. The more you smoke flakes the more you will learn what humidity each one needs. I keep all my open tins in sealed containers and then dry the flakes before each bowl.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I had an open tin of Peterson Irish Flake that I bought 3 yrs ago and did not like it (but I was smoking mostly aros). Stuck it in a jar last yr with a hydrating disc, and now I really like it. When I first got it, it was like jerky. Now that it's dried up some more, it's better

Status
Not open for further replies.