PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Sorry if this has been asked before. What is the best method to restore some moisture to dried tobacco? Some of my bulk blends have been placed in cannisters with a small humidifier. Alas, the tobacco still gets to dry and I want to know what to do to "refresh" the batch.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Terry,
There are lots of recommendations online and I have used one with good results.

Dump the tobacco out into a wide bowl (maximize surface area) and cover it with DAMP, not WET, paper towels.

Check and stir every hour or so until it gets where you want it.
Alternate method I have used ... if the tobacco is in mason jars:

Cut a Q-Tip in half and dampen the ends. Tape these to the inside of the lid and reseal. Repeat as necessary.
Good Luck!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I always use those little disks when I bring some tobacco out of the cellar. They have been doing their job.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
BTW Terry what kinda dog is that in your picture? We got a Beabull this summer 1/2 beagle- 1/2 english bulldog, he kinda looks like that dog in the face.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here is a chart that I compiled, using data from the aforementioned exceptional article by Greg Pease and from a company that sells humidification equipment for tobacco processing/storage
MoistureLevelMBW_Page_1-vi.jpg

• Tobacco with 15-18% moisture content is easy to manufacture, package and ship but produces a gassy smoke that is hot and can lead to tongue bite.

• An 8-10% moisture content product tends to be dry and crumbly.

• A happy medium is 12-14% tobacco moisture content.
You might want to get a decent hygrometer. There are a lot of cheap and worthless ones out there. I'd suggest buying a hygrometer that can be calibrated:

There are others like it, search around a bit. I have several of the worthless kinds laying around.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thank Greg Pease for his research.
What would work better here is a graph, but lacking moisture analysis equipment, the chart will have to do. Actually, it's fairly easy to do the work with a good scale and an oven, but it's really time consuming, since you have to humidify samples, weigh them, then bake (to drive off the moisture) and weigh them again. Or, you could do it in reverse: start with bone dry tobacco and rehumidify, then weigh. Either way, it would be a good job for a research undergrad on work study, not a self-employed 50 year old.
I should note that there is a large difference in the feel of tobacco, between 12 and 15% MBW .

Status
Not open for further replies.