PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Have a couple of tins of Dunhill tobacco that have dried out on me. any suggestions as to how to get them back to smokable again?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Irish, STOP! don't smoke it better send it to Me so I can get rid of it for You. :rofl:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Distilled water , dont use anything else.

Just a couple of drops around the top of the tobacco, seal the tin and the moisture will spread itself through the tobacco in a day or two. Just dont overdo it, a little goes a long way.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The best way is probably to lay all the tobacco out on a tray and mist distilled water over it, one or two small sprays. Thats pretty much how the tobacco manufacturers rehydrate tobacco while processing it.

In my experience though, a few drops around the top in a closed tin will hydrate it nicely in a couple of days.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
Introducing water into your tobacco could promote mold growth, the best way to rehydrate is to get a large bowl and put your tobacco into it, than get a couple paper towels and soak them with distilled water and wring them out so they are damp and lay them over the top of the bowl (not touching the tobacco) and let it sit out for a couple hours or overnight.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Mold growth shouldn't be a problem so long as you make SURE to use distilled water. And naturally, not to let it sit all wet in a puddle of gunk

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Just use a smiggen of water and close up a zip lock bag . Let set over night , If it is too moist leave the bag open and keep checking on it .When it is how you like it put in a mason jar .

welshwizard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I know some will say not to do this, but I always use a leaf from a weed we call Doc leaf. I put this in with the tobacco for a day or two and it's like new again. On the odd occasion I forgot and left it in there and found it months later there is never any damage like mould.

I have always used this method & always will, it's easy & free.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks for all the tips gentlemen. Welshwizard you got me on the Doc leaf... never heard of it. If i could find it I would give it a try, but since I have no clue what it is I guess I will go with the distilled water.

welshwizard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I suppose anything with a large leaf would work, I dont smoke every day so often need to rehydrate it sort of thing :roll:

Strangely the last pack of Condor long cut flake I had was pretty dry and I never bothered to put a leaf in with that. In fact I dont even rub the flake I just folded it into the bowl and it smokes perfectly, never had it so dry and it was sealed air tight? maybe Gallagher are changing the way they pack..... it is a changing world

Status
Not open for further replies.