Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dry throat

(24 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by gabrielcsillaz
  • Latest reply from txsasquatch
  1. gabrielcsillaz

gabrielcsillaz

Login to Send PM

Lately i've been feeling my throat so dry when smoking Mac Baren Vanilla cream that i cant even finish a bowl without drinking something, is this normal ? you guys always smoke with drinks ? anyone have any tips of harmonizing drinks with certain types of tobaccos and blends ?

Thanks !

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

My mouth cannot handle more than a bowl a day without drying out and it seems the taste buds especially in the back of my mouth get swollen and tobacco starts to lose or change its flavor. Strong english blends with alot of latakia seem to be the worst.

an ego without the power to notice itself
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Coffee is my pipe buddy.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually drink a beer, sweet tea, water or coffee with just about anything that I smoke.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, I don't like to smoke without a drink. I always get a dry mouth and throat while smoking. Coffee, monster, or iced tea.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What types of blends are you smoking, that can make a big difference in how or why you are getting dry mouth.

I always have a drink next to me when I smoke my pipe. In the morning to early afternoon, I drink hot and then cold Cafe Du Monde Coffe. Then I start drinking Luzianne Iced tea with lots of Stevia for sweetener. I found that certain aromatics that have a high content of PG will dry my mouth real bad. I stopped smoking Boswell aromatics because of this.

If this doesn't work, try some Biotene mouth wash, that can also help. I have always had a drink next to me while smoking, didn't matter if it was cigars or pipes.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. fafnir

fafnir

Login to Send PM

Same boat as you buddy, I quit drinking and decided my vice of choice will be the briar once a day, my prefered drink a refreshing glass of Roses passion fruit cordial mixed with lemonade, leave me without hangovers and contributes to a friendlier disposition.

If however you do decide to opt for a nice glass of beer, please just dont go the Mitchell and Webb way...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRtfIrNOZU

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not only will a beverage keep your throat from getting dry, but it does something to the volume of smoke and amplifying the flavor. Start with water, to give you a baseline, and try around with other beverages over time. Tea is pretty neutral. Coffee's better with some blends than others, and can coat your mouth a little, which can be good or bad. Alcohol is more nuanced, so you have to try around with that. I think flavorings in aromatics give me more trouble than any tobacco itself, so I mostly smoke non-aromatics.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. gabrielcsillaz

gabrielcsillaz

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, i'll try this vanilla cream with some milk and coffe see if it matches ! thanks again !

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gabrielcsillaz, another drink you might want to try is 190 proof Everclear. That will numb your throat after the first shot. Do a few more and you won't know the time of day is.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ALWAYS have a big insulated mug of homebrewed Chai spice iced tea with me at home, whether I'm smoking or not.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. larry127

larry127

Login to Send PM

I enjoy my Peterson Irish Flake with McDonald Coffee every morning..its awesome.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beer more drink just!! Hiccup hiccup

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everclear mentioned above is also a GREAT pipe-cleaner-outer/"sweetener".(Just do NOT let it touch the exterior of any pipe... it's also a finish-stripper and eats ebonite for breakfast.)

My son and I favor a smoking accompaniment of Gerolsteiner bubbly mineral water, when we can get it here. Refreshingly neutral with a taste-bud awakening zip with each sip. I would have thought that BS until I tried it. When I cannot get it, I like our supermarkets house brand of mint-lime carbonated water... the flavors are very light and discrete and serve more as a palate moisturizer, refresher, and re-setter.

And finally, our tap water on ice is good to go on a budget, when necessary. Cheers!

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found this helps...Dry Throat.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

drink some beer, a really cold beer, it helps or iced tea, but take it slow on the smoking, when I smoke fast my whole mouth gets dry.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. fafnir

fafnir

Login to Send PM

Agree with Larry127, McDonald's coffee is underrated, luv that brew.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

Kendal dark with coffee in the morning.nice semi sweet or va per with after work rum and coke.

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find that anything carbonated lessens my smoking experience. Also bourbon harms it. I generally drink iced tea or water.

Until the bowl is finished....then bourbon...or a nice single malt.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. katarn07

katarn07

Login to Send PM

I'm not big on iced tea but it went well with the last couple bowls I've had of Frog Morton and the CAO Moontrance. I have also tried limeade with Frog Morton. I liked it but am guessing that most would disagree about something so sweet/sour/acidic being paired with tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Some maintain that acidic beverages counteract/balance the tongue-bitey base ph level of tobacco smoke.

FWIW

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. gabrielcsillaz

gabrielcsillaz

Login to Send PM

@billkay
    That is exactly what a very experienced pipe smoker friend of mine said to me, so i tried cold water with just some drops of lemon and it was very good and worked very well, i tried with iced tea and it solves the problem too. Thanks !

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. draco

draco

Login to Send PM

Coffee with some tobaccos. Sweet tes with others. Water is okay. Apple juice goes well with some as does grape juice. Carbonated drinks don't work for me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. txsasquatch

txsasquatch

Login to Send PM

I have to have a drink while I smoke. I have found some great pairings with my morning coffee, but usually stick with water when I'm really trying to explore a tobacco blend. Flavored drinks tend to bias my palate and can make it hard if not impossible for my fledgling taste buds to detect the nuances of the tobacco. Sometimes I drink ginger ale to clear the palate.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, oldtoby, ben88, lightxmyfire, hoosierpipeguy, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell