PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I've opened a tin of MacB HH Mature Virginia, and find it quite moist, too moist to smoke as is, so I've been drying one bowl at a time. I don't plan on storing this long term, should I just go ahead and leave the tin opened until it is just right, or continue one bowl at a time? MacB tins are typically packed very tight, any problem with expansion?
Thanks gurus.
Andrew

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi Andrew,

Good question. I haven't tried that particular blend, but I suppose the answer would be related to how fast you will smoke it up.

I've been on a Grousemoor kick lately; it smokes best (IMHO) when it crackling dry, but my experience with Virginias tells me that some moisture is a good thing. If you leave the tin open, over say a week, then I think the quality may suffer.

As for just drying one bowl at a time, I would and do dry more than one bowl at a time. This is a good place to put forward the concept of "DGT" Delayed Gratification Technique.
DGT comes in many forms, and everyone seems to have a preferred method/technique.

Simply put, Delayed Gratification Technique is a way to prepare your tobacco, anticipating that you will smoke it in the near future. I practice this in a couple-three different manners. Like the esteemed host of our Pipes Magazine Radio Show Brian Levine and a number of our Members, I will pack a pipe and "char light" it, tamp it out, then set it aside to be smoked later in the day, or when driving.

Or, I'll pack a pipe with fresh tobacco before bed, planning to smoke it with my morning Josephus Daniels. This allows it to dry over night. It might be noted (and this is my opinion based on anecdotal observation) that I believe the drying of tobacco in a pipe is quite different than drying it on a "surface" like a saucer for example. Because; the amount of tobacco exposed directly to the air (surface area a packed bowl) will restrict the drying rate compared to spread out on a surface.

There is one additional benefit to DGT... When you're ready for that pipe you know is waiting... You don't have to prepare it. It's ready to gratify.

:puffy:

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'm no Guru- not by a long shot. But, I like you, recently opened a McClelland tin and decided that it would be what I would be smoking for the next few weeks. I opened the tin and put it in a cereal bowl under a lamp equipped with one of those energy saving bulbs (the twisty ones... It's too early for me to remember what they're called) for mmm... 4-8 hours. Put it back in the tin when I decided it dried sufficiently.
Is it just me or do McClellands take a super long time to dry?

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I normally just dry a single bowl at at a time, but I don't see why you couldn't dry the whole tin at once if you are going to smoke it within a week. I normally enjoy my VAs on the moist side.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Since we are the subject of one at a time, I've asked before and have not either rad or seen the opinion of others:
When I get a tin of flake I cut the entire tin one time and jar it up immediately so that any time I want to smoke and usually that is on the the way to work I'm ready to go
Any ideas on this?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will cube cut one bowl, let it dry and then smoke. I prefer that method. I think people should do what they are comfortable with as long as they are not drying their tobacco too much and then have to re hydrate.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions. I'll continue one at a time, and enjoy the process. I've actually practiced the DGT method when driving to Montauk LI, for the occasional fishing trip. It's a six hour drive, and I set up a few pipes beforehand, ready packed, to last the long trip.
Thanks again, your experience is priceless.
Andrew

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Roth

Just to be clear I cube cut all flakes, but I do it in one sitting
Maybe when I retire I'll cube cut one bowl at a time and just watch the little flakes dry...
LOL

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, your method is fine if that is what you like. Don't worry about being a neophyte who is incredibly wrong. :nana:
Seriously though as long as your tobacco is jarred up and the properly humidified, it should still provide a half way decent smoke, certainly not as good as it could be. I don't want to put rats in your head or anything. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.