PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robj7

Lurker
Apr 24, 2016
Hey guys first time poster, I saw a couple of threads on here about dry snuff so thought I'd ask a question about it. I haven't gotten a pipe yet, but plan to in the not distant future. Currently I am a cigarette smoker, and enjoy it, don't always inhale, mainly just smoke for enjoyment. I also smoke cigars every now and then. Last summer I began getting into dry snuff for it's convenience. My local tobacco shop had some I got some basic brands of Silver Dollar, and also Wilson's of Sharrow. The Wilson's Apricot is really good, very finely powdered, excellent. My question is this. Where I work I don't get many breaks during the day and so can't smoke until I get off. So that was part of the reason I got some snuff. How much nicotine roughly compared to say a full flavored cigarette is in a pinch of say Wilson's of Sharrow snuff? I smoke Camels. But I can take a hit of snuff, and it helps my nicotine cravings subside, until I can smoke, so there must be enough there to do the job. It's totally different from smoking, and also helps if I'm at a function or something where I can't light up due to smoking restrictions, but I smoke everywhere I can because that's my preferred method. The dry snuff leaves a very nice aroma in the nose too, it's great for any smokers who need it to get through the day or something. Hopefully once I get a pipe then I can try and give up cigarettes but I'm not there yet. I have a great local tobacco shop who custom makes pipes so when I do get one I'll probably go there, but for now I'm still smoking cigarettes and taking dry snuff. Thanks for any input!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hi Rob and welcome. Do you really think your first post on a pipes forum should ask questions about snuff? Maybe you should try a pipe first and talk about that. Just sayin'

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Not sure precisely how much is in a pinch of anything, but I've found Toque Rustica to be the strongest snuff I've found nicotine wise.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like suff more than I should. Willson's of Sharrow is my favorite brand. Little brown smoke shack ships it in the US. The shipping cost of Mr. Snuff is to expensive in my opinion. I have to take breaks from snuff because I binge on it and it clogs me up after a while. Recently I discovered camel snus frost flavor. It's a Swedish style smokeless tobacco. It comes in these little tea bags you tuck under your upper lip. No need to spit like chew or dip and it's not messy. I found a Swedish brand called General that is sold locally I'm going to try soon. It's suppose to be better quality? I use it places I can't smoke like at work or school. I never chewed tobacco before so I was not sure I would like it. Much to my suprise I did.

May 31, 2012
Hey Rob,

Welcome to the forums!
I can't answer your question,

but these threads may:
http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/4002/nicotine-content
http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/763/
I am an occasional snufftaker and find it very enjoyable.
Sometimes I even "snuff 'n puff" and when you find a good combo it works really well,

my fave combo is Wilson's Best SP with St. Bruno Flake --- delicious!
:puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Asking about snuff on a pipe forum is fine, but snuffhouse is the primary forum for it. Snuff can pack a wallop of a nicotine hit, but you need the right snuff; and tread lightly at first. My favorite high nicotine snuffs are 41 Photo White Elephant, Viking Thor's Hammer, Toque Quit (the rustica is mainly meant to be used as a mixer because it has around 12mg of nicotine), Toque Spanish Gem, Fubar Wille Pete, etc... White Elephant is a fine white snuff and has an earthy/ammonia/tobacco kind of scent, Willie Pete is also a white snuff that is a fine grind; again, you'll need to develop your technique before you kill yourself with these. Thor's Hammer is a Viking snuff, which is made by Samuel Gawith. It's a great place to start because it a medium grind, medium moisture snuff, that has a really nice natural tobacco/leather scent. Toque makes quality snuff (their Apricot is my favorite), and they have the best SP in my opinion which is natural tobacco scented snuff with bergamot oil (a type of citrus). I really like their Cheese & Bacon too.
My favorite snuffs are a lot of the Indian snuffs (the various Photos {41, 6, and 7}... things like Swami, Anarkali, Kalish). I also like the Indian Madras snuffs too, which are high in nicotine. I like the British snuffs, and like Wilsons of Sharrow, Viking, Toque, and F&T the best. F&T's High Dry Toast is probably the best toast in my opinion, but Wilson of Sharrows Irish High Toast #22 can give it a close run for it's money. Toasts are dry, fine grind, natural tobacco scented snuffs. Hedges is my favorite menthol.
I could talk snuff all day. I didn't even get into the artisan snuffs like the USA'a one and only Old Mill by Chef Daniel, and Britain's Sit Walter Scott and Abraxas. Every pipe smoker should have a tin of snuff with them. I'll have some at the Chicago show with me this week. You're always welcome to hit me up for a pinch.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Tried some Kailash recently - really lovely stuff. Horse brand Joshi ... Dee-licious!

M

Horse brand Joshi
Yup. It's a good one.
the rustica is mainly meant to be used as a mixer because it has around 12mg of nicotine
I think I'm off here? Rustica's nicotine content is 9%, triple that of other tobacco. I think the milligrams of nicotine in it are much higher than 12? Roderick uses a nice amount of it in Toque Quit and Spanish Gem, making them great options for cigarette smokers. In fact, Toque Quit was the personal mixture that Roderick came up with that he used to quit smoking cigs. Hence, the name. It's a great snuff. Toque only sells the straight Rustica snuff in 50g bags. It's good to pick up a bag and cut it into other snuffs for a nicotine level that meets your needs.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I just like it straight - I like the mellow grassiness. Super fine though...I can only boxcar or pinch it as it leaks out of a snuffmaster. Quit is decent stuff though.

May 31, 2012
Toque makes quality snuff (their Apricot is my favorite), and they have the best SP in my opinion which is natural tobacco scented snuff with bergamot oil (a type of citrus).
I agree, it's really really good, probably better than the Wilsons.
I recently got a tin of Tom Buck to try out, as the SP family is my favorite.
I generally stick to the English houses,

although I'd love to try some of the Old Mill by Chef Daniel stuff because it is so well done and carefully made,

and add to that Abraxas Cafe which I need to order, as well as checking out the Sir Walter Scott.
I also sometimes sprinkle scented snuff all over certain pipe tobacco to add flavour and a little extra nic,

the technique works exceedingly well for me.
:puffy:

M

Tom Buck is a great floral/SP. The best in my opinion. The only WoS snuffs I enjoy are their Irish Toast #22, Jockey Club, and Tom Buck. I've tried about a dozen others, but didn't get into them much. Although, Crumbs of Comfort is a good spearmint. I like to sprinkle a little snuff on a bowl from time to time also, but I don't do it regularly.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Fribourg & Treyer's High Dry Toast. Pure tobacco heaven in a can.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Old Mill by Chef Daniel stuff because it is so well done and carefully made
Yes it is...
I have two 12 tin samplers of Wilson's of Sharrow snuff that needs to find a new home because I just can't use that much.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Great posts! Wrong place, perhaps, but you have all helped me out tremendously as I have been debating trying snuff for work. Thank you all fro your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.