PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Do you think nightcap must be smoked dry or kinda moist?? How do you know if it's to dry?

However, this is a very personal question. All tobaccos change a degree or two pending dryness, the pipe, mood, packing, the way you light it, etc... Try it several different ways and see how YOU prefer it. There are no absolutes with pipes. Unlike cigars, the pipe will deliver a variable experience depending on lots of factors. I've rarely had two smokes end up the same, and this is what I love about pipes.
Try lots of different approaches and techniques and find one for each tobacco and you.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Everyone has a different opinion. Best bet is to experiment yourself. Try different drying times and take notes on which works best for you.

Personally I feel all tobacco smokes better with a little moisture present. But there are many out there who love it crispy. Neither one is right or wrong as it is all personal taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree there is a lot of personal preference. I find that most tobacco can benefit from at least a trace of

moisture, but tobacco can be pretty dry before it loses its oomph, in my experience. With Nightcap, I'd

open it a day or two before the first smoke, but screw the tin top back on. Freshly cracked, it is a tad too

moist to me. With bulk Nightcap, jar it and it will stay good.
Five Brothers and Semois seem to work well very dry. Probably other tobaccos too. But those two for sure.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I haven't smoked Nightcap in a while, but I find that Latakia mixtures generally burn better with a little more moisture than I'd leave in a Burley or Virginia blend, where I usually go as dry as possible without getting crunchy.
But this is very much a matter of personal taste and experimentation. Try it lots of ways in pipes of different sizes and decide what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.