PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobeasto123

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Hi guys, Today I received some new tobaccos from 4 noggins ( Really great service and quick delivery From Rich)

I received Carter Hall, Walnut and Some Storm Front. I took a bowl of carter hall this afternoon before going to work. I have to say it was a pleasant smoke but I had the sensation that my mouth was going dryer and dryer while I was smoking took a couple sip of water but I wasn't enough. I have to say that so far I had only smoked CBW and Lane 1Q and RLP-6 but from all of those I had lots of saliva in my mouth maybe from the sweetness fo those baccy.
Tonight just minutes ago I finished up a bowl of Storm Front, Again a really nice smoke. But I have the tongue Like a dry sponge and it never happened before today. Before I had couple hours of a mouth full of saliva carving for more of those sweet tobacco, Now I have kind of a sweetness in my mouth, a bit of smoke taste from the storm front but not a drop of saliva left in my mouth.
Both tobacco were gravity packed in a MM Diplomat Cob pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Roth's suggestions are good ones.
The only advice I can offer is "Hydrate".

Sips won't do...

That's just an opinion...

I rarely have trouble with dry mouth when smoking my pipe...

Then again I probably drink more water than most folks...

I'm one of those "8 glasses a day guys".

:puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
These days I'm smoking natural blends with little (probably no) PG, and it seems my mouth is always dry too.

So rothnh's ideas may have some credence, I dunno. I don't notice the sensation varying with the

relative humidity of the room air, so I question whether steam coming through the stem can play much of a role

regardless of the source: H₂O made available by PG, or humid air (or damp tobacco for that matter).
I always have a cup of coffee going, so it doesn't bother me.

Lawrence's idea about keeping a well hydrated system is probably the soundest advice.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Is it possible that you smoked these new blends a little on the hot side? I know that at times if I am not careful I irritate my mouth and I have a similar dry mouth sensation. This especially happens to me when I smoke burly blends like SWR.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes I find burley does that to me, gives me a really dry mouth, afterwords I have to have sips of water frequently. I don't like burley blends before bed for that reason.

mobeasto123

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Thanks guys, for your answer. I'll try to drink more water in the day and see if it change anything.
for jnyder I don't think I went too hot while smoking, I don't remember the pipe going hotter than ordinary. I'm always making effort to avoid hot burning as the best flavor is when the smoke is cool.
DAvid

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I find that I spit when I smoke and this (without a beverage in hand) ultimately leads to dry mouth.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have found that if I smoke anything with PG in it, my mouth gets really dry. I was smoking some Boswell aromatics last summer and had to quit them because of severe dry mouth. I always have Biotene on hand but even that was useless with the aro's. I have not run into dry mouth since I quit smoking those. Carter Hall also dries my mouth pretty bad but not as bad as the Boswell blends. It could be you are extra sensitive like myself.

mobeasto123

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Thanks guys, In fact biotene is helping a lot. I'll leave my tongue breathe a couple days and see if it's the same thing. If the same thing happens again I think I'll just stick to Lane 1Q as I only have a bowl a day It will be some sweet smoke .
David

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Like many things in life, lubrication is key. For me its black Assam tea, or cold black coffee. That'll cure dry mouth. Also, try to smoke slower. Your mouth will thank you in the morning.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Like many things in life, lubrication is key.
:rofl: I think I'll leave that one alone.... When i started smoking, I used to experience this quite a bit and I think it was Roth who suggested I start using BioTiene. I did and it stopped but I have decided to continue to use it anyway. I think overall it has helped keep my mouth healthy and now these days, I rarely, if ever, experience dry mouth or tongue bite.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I salivate to almost drooling a lot when I smoke. Sometimes if I smoke too much in one day I can have that fuzzy feeling in my mouth. Always drink something with smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.