PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently realized that when I smoke aromatics( Boswell's) I get dry mouth after one bowl. I can smoke bowl after bowl of flakes and not get it. After a bowl of the aro, I have to swish with Biotene and do that after every bowl the rest of the day no matter what I am smoking. Has anyone else noticed that certain blends dry your mouth worse than others and what do you think the cause could be?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
well I dont smoke aro's... but I dont ever recall getting "dry" mouth after smoking any other type of blends... in-fact I have the opposite problem sometimes, I become a salivating freak!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I get it after every bowl. I only smoke general one bowl a day so it doesn't bother me too much. I have heard people talk about biotene a lot. What exactly is it? mouth wash?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I don't notice this as much in my mouth as in my nostrils. After a bowl of certain types of tobacco (mostly aromatic - but not all), I can feel irritation and dryness, particularly if I have been exhaling through my nose heavily (once again, often a sign I am smoking an aromatic). I believe, like herbinedave, that it has something to do with the humectants used (PG in particular - although my training and any research I have ever read on PG would point to another factor).
Edit: For anyone else that suffers from this, a couple of shots of saline spray clears it right up for me!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Adam, Biotene is a mouth wash that has no alcohol. It also has a lot of different ingredients to combat dry mouth. It works great, after a couple of swishes I am ready to go right back at it. It is not cheap though, I pay 10 bucks for the large bottle.
roth, do you think that Boswell would tell me what types of ingredients go into their blends, I would think they are very tight lipped about something like that.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Aromatics and OTC blends tend to do that to me. I am sure it is some sort of additive/preservative if not the effect of one of the artificial sweeteners that they use. It could be a multitude of factors, but I don't get it with most tinned flakes or mixtures that I've come across.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Cigrmaster, if it only happens to your Boswell blends, you should send them to me... :rofl:
Seriously now, do you smoke other aros that this happens with?
I've also noticed that I produce less saliva with my new order of Boswell, I've been smoking a lot of pipers pleasure and apple strudel.

What about laying off of the boswells for a bit and see what happens.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I notice with some peterson aros i dont get dry mouth, but i get a filmy feeling. always feels like i have a hair stuck in the back of my mouth. stays like this all day even after smoking other bowls or eating or drinking. going to be removing those petersons from my rotation.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Adam, Biotene is a mouth wash that has no alcohol. It also has a lot of different ingredients to combat dry mouth. It works great, after a couple of swishes I am ready to go right back at it. It is not cheap though, I pay 10 bucks for the large bottle.
LMAO; read this and wondered if you were suggesting I try a snoot of Biotene for my dry sinuses post-smoke - I was actually in the process of writing a thread basically stating 'WTF? Ouch no!' when I realized Photoman13 was in on the thread. The perils of PM.com'ing on a smartphone (can't see avatars/posters info and the entire post w/o scrolling around).

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Aromatics and OTC blends tend to do that to me. I am sure it is some sort of additive/preservative if not the effect of one of the artificial sweeteners that they use. It could be a multitude of factors,
Same here mate, I agree. Very dry mouth after some baccy's as well.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Has anyone else noticed that certain blends dry your mouth worse than others and what do you think the cause could be?

I expect it's more of an individual reaction to certain blends, as it is with tongue bite.
Sometimes the English/Latakia blends dry me up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sjpipesmoker, I had laid off the Boswell's for a couple of months and then when I went back to them is when I noticed this going on. I don't smoke any other aro's so I know it is them.

Status
Not open for further replies.