PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Va forward blend that has a touch of a dry cinnamon/spice flavor to it, particulary something also featuring orientals? I'm not looking for a cinnamon aromatic, but something with just a touch of that flavor. Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am finishing a tin of Russ' Fire Storm, and I highly doubt it has any cinnamon in it. It's possible, but I am highly dubious. My experience with cinnamon as a pipe tobacco flavoring has not be favorable. I had a holiday aromatic blend or two (gifts) that had cinnamon and some other holiday scents/flavors, and they burnt like chemical warfare agents. I've avoided those ever since. I might add, I'm a fan of full-strength non-aromatic tobaccos. Fire Storm is excellent to me.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I cut a few coins off the front of a cigar (something nicuraguan usually) before smoking it, purely to blend into something else for the pipe later, I find that gives me that hint of cinnamon in a bowl if blended with virginias and or burleys.
Isaac

May 4, 2015
I'll throw out Golden Days of Yore. It's an "aromatic" by definition, but very tobacco forward with the hints of cinnamon you seem to be looking for. It was limited run/special edition, but I think you can still get your hands on it.

Oh, if you're wanting a fake cinnamon taste (aromatic) then try Dans Choo Choo Train. It his a honey vanilla, but has lots of conamon also, but as with aromatics, you won't taste it, those are for everyone in the room will.

Also, in non-aros, H&H Virginia Spice also has a little touch of cinnamon to it, but not a topping.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sadly, a good representation of what you are looking for is the discontinued Angler's Dream.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Two Friends Valle Crucis is an Oriental blend with ginger a touch of latakia with a dash of perique. Sounds strange but it's really an interesting blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I cut a few coins off the front of a cigar (something nicuraguan usually) before smoking it, purely to blend into something else for the pipe later, I find that gives me that hint of cinnamon in a bowl if blended with virginias and or burleys.

That's a good idea! I'm gonna try that. I have some cigars on hand that I'll never get to.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Fire Storm and Anni cake are two that immediately jump out. I've always thought cinnamon to be Russ' signature spice note.
I find cinnamon present in some golden Va's too, but it is less overt. Butera's golden cake has it. I can't think of one that has orientals. However, Sam's Flake is in the ballpark. It has a bit of turkish and tonquin, which presents as slightly musty vanilla with a subtle spice perhaps mace.

Jun 27, 2016
Cinnamon flavor notes in my drawer would come from McClelland's 5100 Red Cake, or Smokers Haven In-B-Tween Mixture. The In-B-Tween has just a little Latakia in it, and VA, and Turkish/Oriental. The Latakia is hardly enough to taste though, and after smoking it I thought surprisingly that it reminded me most of 5100, but with a stronger cinnamon taste. It almost seemed to be the main thing with the In-B-Tween.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, cinnamon must be used in much smaller proportions than I knew. Now I'm going to start tasting it in every blend. Royal Yacht.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
McClelland's Smyrna from the Gran Oriental series, to me, has a lot of holiday spice notes without coming off as an aromatic. This sounds just like what you're looking for.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There's no actual cinnamon flavoring in Fire Storm, but that's the up-front note to the blend, at least to my tastes. Since Fire Storm and Anniversary Kake both contain the same Virginias plus Perique, and both blends have a cinnamon-like undertone, I'm pretty sure that it's the combination of the two that produces it.
Russ

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
McClelland's 5100 Red Cake
This one came to mind for me as well. Red Flue Cured Va's seem to have more of that essence naturally than the Lemons or Brightleaf do. As Russ said also, the Perique seems to accentuate this at times. I really like that Fire Storm Blend too ... good stuff. :puffy:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
It's definitely a major flavor note I perceive in good straight reds, so that makes sense. I'm already a big fan of Anni Kake, so my bases are covered there.

Status
Not open for further replies.