PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
So I have been working on refurbishing an estate pipe I got in a lot. Never heard of the manufacture before, it is stamped Willard. The briar cleaned up fine no issues, re-stained it, polished it, looks good, kind of looks like a Dr Grabow knock-off. The stem I assumed to be a straight forward clean up job. So dropped it in everclear overnight figuring to run some pipe cleaners the next night and maybe polishing a little on the buffer. Well when I took it out of the everclear tonight the logo had completely dissolved leaving a hole where it used to be and the stem now bends/flexs like a soft piece of rubber. I have done a fair amount of stems, never seen this happen before. Any thoughts out there on this?

dscf1731-600x450.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Willard was a Grabow sub-brand. A carryover from their HLT heritage if I remember correctly. They were budget pipes in all respects. Sometimes they were even freebies packed in with two-packs of RJR pipe tobacco. The straight stems are made of a plastic composite that will deteriorate when exposed to alcohol, as you've discovered. Only the bent Willards have vulcanite stems.
And, yeah, what Todd said. Soaking a stem of any material in Everclear is unnecessary.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
The stem was too clogged to get a pipe cleaner through and I have found that soaking in everclear will usually let me get a pipe cleaner through to start the cleaning. So should the stem stiffen up again if I just let it sit or is it going to be bendy forever?

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
So should the stem stiffen up again if I just let it sit or is it going to be bendy forever?

You can let it sit for a few days and it may get some rigidity back, but it's likely that at least some distortion is permanent.
My impulse would be to bake the stem in a 300° oven for an hour or so.

Best not. Bad for the stem. Bad for you. Bad for the oven.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I do have a poor track record when it comes to impulsive decisions. :oops:

But hey! Doing something is better than sitting back and hoping things will miraculously improve on their own.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the briar is anything in terms of shape or grain, or you want to keep it otherwise, you might be able to get a stem replacement in acrylic done so the screw-on stem fits the shank, or re-done as a push bit, for not too much. I'd estimate $35 to $40, or you could do the same work yourself for experience. Your basic push bit replacement with no stinger involved runs about $27 plus shipping. Is the pipe worth it, fixed up? Only you can tell. I was going to guess it was a house pipe done by Dr. Grabow; I didn't know it was a sub-brand. Some of those old factory pipes have notably good grain.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
It's got some good grain on the briar. So I think I will just hang onto to it until I'm good enough to try to make a new stem for it. Thanks for all the info.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
How in the world will you make a stem with a stinger?

Also, if you're going to wait until a new stem can be made, why not try baking the old stem?

After all, we're not talking Dunhill here -- it's a Grabow second for Pete's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.