PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Are loyal, if not the most polite or articulate of defenders. Bear that in mind when reading my posts tonight. That is all.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
"tis good to keep idiosyncrasies well moistened, they being subject to deterioration in a dry moral atmosphere"

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In the old non-PC days before the military became p#$@^fied - military personnel were expected to drink and do other things. I think it was Patton who said, "If a soldier won't f..., he won't fight." or something to that affect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having been a GI, USN, I didn't hit the bars in port that much because I was too excited to get out and see the place. I felt like I could get drunk, if needed, any time. I'm not a daily, weekly, or binge drinker in particular anyway. I did "go to sleep" in a park in the middle of the afternoon in Long Beach, Ca., one time, the diametrical opposite of rowdy, after a pint of vodka enjoyed a little too fast. One benefit of not drinking all the time, you don't need as much. One of my happiest drinking sprees was, believe it or not, aboard ship. After a particularly rough, cold underway replenishment (hauling supplies including fuel oil, between an oiler and our minesweeper) the corpsman (medic) broke out a supply of airline brandy bottles. I scurried around and got several extras from guys who didn't drink for religious reasons, and had a good nap. I never figured out whether the brandy was permitted after hard duty, or if the captain was winking at it, but it was pretty nice. Also, at the time anyway, the Navy had some of the better food in the military, which I enjoyed three times a day, in quantity. When I was separated (end of active duty, still on reserve status) I weighed nothing; don't even want to admit just how little I weighed. Hard life in the old fleet, but plenty of food.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
For me, University paved the way to Army drinking. To be honest, it is still a good 2 steps below British drinking which is, in itself, one step below Irish drinking/lunacy.
I mellowed RIGHT out around the 30th birthday, with 4 nights a week becoming 4 nights a year.
Last night was one of those nights.
=D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Run a lot of plain water through to feel better. Alcohol can be lovely stuff, but it dries you out like a prune.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thanks MSO!
We had a 100% UA today. I've been drinking water all day for my whizz quiz.
Who says Uncle Sam doesn't know what's best!?
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.