PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Wondering if any one has a favorite drug store blend and the best prices on line. I have only smoked Captain Black white label. I find it decent if it is dried out a lot. Problem is at my local CVS (California) it is $50 for a 12 oz tin! I almost choked when I saw the price! I have seen it on line in bulk for half that.
After browsing some similar blends I saw "Sugar Barrel" and "Walnut" They seem to have quite a following on the reviews I have seen. They are not stocked in my local stores is the problem. I'm looking for an affordable smoke I can have around. I have a few tins of higher quality tobacco's but what can I say I'm a stay at home dad and need to watch the spending.
So do any of you have a favorite online store that has good prices for such blends? Also if you had to choose what would be your pick from the blends mentioned?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big Price Albert fan. It's one-dimensional but, for me at least, lacks the chemical flavor of many drug store tobaccos. Helped me cut back my cigarette habid dramatically. I also like it for breaking in new pipes as I find it burns well, leaves a nice ash to build up a cake, and doesn't gump up the pipe. It also doesn't ghost the pipe. While I have since found many tobaccos I prefer, I still smoke a bowl of this once in awhile and always with new pipes.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
PA and Carter Hall are my favorite American Classics--some days nothin' will do except these two--
when things gang up on me and i need tobacco quickly the CVC pharmacy has Dream Castle's Admirals Choice 'Vanilla Cavendish'--it's not quite as soupy as most drug store OTCs--it will dry over time(almost)--it is also useful to blend with other stuff--never want it for an all day every day smoke, but in a pinch it's OK--i don't enjoy AROs normally, but sometimes they fill the bill,; sort of like re-calibrating the taste buds--

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
i like captain black royal, and i also like paladin black cherry. i can get a 1 and a half ounce pouch of the paladin for around $4 counting tax. i also rather like half and half

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I think I will try the PA since I can find it in the store in my area. I was wondering about the sugar barrel. It is aburrly with a little vanilla. I guess I will try and order a small amount to see if I like it before ordering a big tin of it. I also want a Dr grabow Omega I have seen on line but never in stores in my area. On line spending here I come! Thanks for the in put every one.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Just placed an order at 4 noggins and decided on the Dr. Graybow free hand pipe! The stem looked more to my liking than the Omega after looking at it. I ordered a pouch of each, PA, 1Q, Sugar Barrel. So this makes 3 pipes in my collection and a few new flavors to try! I love trying new tobacco but want to find one or two that I can order big tins or in bulk and have around for every day smoking. Now the anticipation begins :D

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I also enjoy CBW. I have started buying in bulk from 4 noggins. I also have found Sterling Tobacco Company has a "Bargain" blend that runs about $16-17 per pound that is a steal.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm fond of PA as well as the PA Cherry Vanilla and Vanilla Cavendish. They are not goopy, and you can actually taste the tobacoo. Right now I've got a big jar of the old PA Choice that I dip from now and then.

I have enjoyed trying the drugstore blends, although, as a rule, I stay far away from the aromatics. I like Kentucky Club a bit more than Carter Hall. When I was a new piper, I smoked a ton of Sail (Yellow and Ivory), and Troost Special Cavendish, before I discovered latakia. I've revisited the Sail Yellow and the Troost in the past few years, and they aren't bad. I played with some of the HoW revivals - Revelation, Country Doctor, Barking Dog.

I'm prepping for a TAD fix from 4 Noggins in the not-so-distant future. I was very pleased to discover they have Walnut available, which I have been meaning to try for along time, so I intend to get a couple of ounces. I also want to try some Granger, and some Sail Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.