PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So after hearing about people buying pipes at drugstores (and the recent kerfuffle over a major chain ending tobacco sales), I've been keeping my eyes open whenever I find myself in a Walgreen's or Rite Aid (the two big players in this area). Until today, I had yet to see any of the stores carrying anything pipe-related.
But there I was, picking up some supplies so that I can possibly start having an afternoon pipe at work (toothpaste, mouthwash, soap for the beard...), and there behind the counter, what did I spy with my little eye but a Dr. Grabow Duke in a blister pack, along with Zippo and Ronson lighters, pipe cleaners, and some tins of pipe tobacco (couldn't quite make out the label)! Nice to know there's an emergency option if I run out and can't make it to the B&M on my lunch break.
:puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's cool. Might be fun for everyone who spies a drug store pipe(s) for sale to snap a photo and share it here. The times they are a-changin' and I believe it's not something we'll see for much longer.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There is one place behind one check stand at my local grocery store that has a couple of Dr Grabow Freehands, ($36.00) pipe cleaners and lighters. I had to ask in order to find them. They have no tobacco, not even a pouch of Captain Black!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes disappeared from my local Walgreens about a year and a half ago. There didn't sell them off.

They just disappeared. But the other day, I was in a local chain called Ekherds (I think it is spelled)

and up behind the checkout, way up high with the slow-moving merchandise, above the cigarettes,

were four or five small Dr. Grabows in blister packs. What really caught my eye were the prices, almost

$40 a pipe, and these aren't the top of the line. I didn't spot any pipe tobacco. My local Smoker

Friendly chain store has pouches in boxes and cans of pipe tobacco (CH, Half-and-Half) but only Chinese

cobs and a few sub-basket-pipes. I think it would be hassle if I was seen to be photographing pipes,

for fear I was either a scout for other drugstore chains reconnoitering prices, or a health zealot fixing

to pin the smoking badge of shame on the chain. Two years ago, I could have found pipe tobacco at

some grocery stores, and five years ago, at Walmart.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
California has made every attempt possible to get rid of smoking. All that policy went into effect years ago, and the last memory I have of seeing a pipe at a drugstore was when I was a kid shopping with my dad for a cob to complete a Popeye Halloween costume. That was maybe in 2005... The times are a-changin'

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have seen Dr. grabow as well as MM cobs at Walgreen and rite aid stores in my area for years. A little bit after I heard about them starting to faze that stuff out I asked about one again and they are still $30+ !! I asked if they are going to put them on sale or what would they do with them. I was told (with kind of a snappy attitude) "well we will just send them back to the company if we don't sell them!"
That's fine,I was just curious because I couldn't bring myself to buy one for that much when they are on the bay for anywhere from 5-10 bucks.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Drug stores used to be a darn near everything store that sold anything you needed except for what a food store or hardware store would carry. At one time all were individually/independently owned. Even had soda/food section in them for breakfast & lunch. Before Eckert's & the ilk came into being.

You could talk to the owner who was the Pharmacist instead of going to the doctor & they would fix you up. & that was in Ft. Laud when I grew up.

Everything today is "Progress".

God bless America. This is what we "Want".

Jan 8, 2013
According to the website, my local Walgreen's has some MM Legends. I haven't gone to check yet. The PX here on base has a few Grabow's, I want to say they were $25.99. Can't remember the models though.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The last time I was in our Walgreens they had one Grabow. There is a discount cigarette store where I buy my PA,CH,SWR etc that carries several Grabows in different lines. The Grabows and several bags( Smokers Pride etc) of pipe tobacco hang on a wall. In the middle of the floor they have a large round display with the good OTC's--PA,CH.Captain Black etc in tubs and pouches along with filters,lighter fluid,and those damn cheap Chinese pies with the metal lined bowls. They will also order many blends for ya. They have a large catalog you can look through.

They even sell pipe stands!

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Strangely enough, despite living in the Soviet Republic of Massachusetts all 3 of the drug stores in town carry pipes. I've bought one from each.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Walgreens was actually the place where I bought my first pipe, a MM cob. They sell those and Grabows. They still have their tobacco shelves, behind the counter, and the pipes are at the way bottom. Real easy to miss if you don't look hard enough. I check there form time to time to see if their grabows will ever go on sale.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
The local Drug Mart has a selection of Grabows and MM cobs, cleaners, lighters and other paraphernalia. I get my MM cobs there. The last pony I got was $7 or $8.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I think dope smoking paraphernalia is more readily available in stores than pipe smoking gear. Sad. (yeah, I know...it's probably not called dope anymore. I'm old...)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Drugstores and their resident pharmacists are making an effort to take on a larger health delivery role,

as as sort of local clinic, giving immunizations and other on-the-spot treatment, and serving some

primary care diagnosis and consultation. So, selling tobacco products is in conflict with this branding

concept, a little like having an exhibit of Dr. Grabows in a hospital lobby. I'm not concerned if drugstores

want to bow out of having tobacco counters, but I want my local independent pipe shops to stay in business.

If one contributes to the other, that will be okay.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've seen Dr. Grabows at the local Walgreens from time to time. I think it was the Duke of Windsor pipe or something like that, but can't recall. The also have like 12oz bags of some brand of tobacco which I can't recall. One is a burly blend another is a Virginia blend and there is a cherry blend as well. On a few occasions I've seen some Washington and Legend Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs.
The local country store up the road from me has Aces Pipe Tobacco for sale. Those are like 16oz bags and they have several varieties as well. My understanding is that the Aces tobacco is used more for roll your own cigarettes though. I've thought about trying it but I don't ever want to spend the $30 or whatever it is to try it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
metal, I wouldn't buy those bags of generic tobacco, with so many good blends, and reasonably priced

bulk tobacco blended specially for pipes.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Might be fun for everyone who spies a drug store pipe(s) for sale to snap a photo and share it here.

Tobacco counter at my local Drug Mart. Even better than this is that a local butcher shop stocks the meat shelves two times a week. Very high quality Beef, pork and chicken fresh from the farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.