Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
It finally happened. Last night, I took my pipe out of my mouth to converse with a friend and when I placed it back my teeth didn't get a grip on the bit and it slipped out of my clench. Good news is, I caught it on the way down and saved myself the grief of potentially ruining a good pipe. Bad news is, I caught it on the way down and got a handful of hot tobacco. Luckily, the outcome outweighs the consequences in this case.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Ouch, but I would also rather have a hand full of hot coals then drop one of my briars.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
As its said when catching an object midfall amongst friends locally...
Like a NINJA!!

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I get comfortable clenching my pipe and have slammed it like a woodpecker hitting a tree. I've hit windows and other things getting under cabinets and sinks. They seem pretty tough :)

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Dropping one of my pipes in the Ocean is how I found out that they float! I've dropped my pipes several times, because I like to smoke and drink at the same time, which is usually the combo that causes me to drop one. I only have one pipe that I'd care if I dropped, and I don't drink (excessively) when I smoke it. Other than that, the dings and scratches on my pipes show I'm a smoker first and foremost.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
nice grab! I have dropped a few of my pipes and luckily they have all been ok after the fall... Scares the heck out of me though haha

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Oh yeah...definitely scares me, though. I'm always afraid to see it is cracked...I was horrified when I dropped my pipe while kayak fishing. Not just the possibility of losing my pipe, but having to fish all day without a smoke! I ended up paddling back to shore and going home. Fortunately, I fish about 15 minutes from my house in the ocean at Cabrillo Beach.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Sounds like you took a bullet for a loved one! Well played!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep, I've dropped a few as well, but luckily no harm has been done. I've got an uncle who's broken 1/2 dozen or so Savinellis by dropping them, so I definitely consider myself lucky!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
My hacky sac reflexes always kick in before I can even think about it.
I've never had to hacky sac a pipe, but I've saved previous cell phones countless times. STALL!!!
A "stall" is when you have stopped the motion of the hacky sac and it is now resting on some body part, most likely your shoe. The more you know.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've only dropped one a couple times. My 7" semi-churchwarden took a spill the other day, but it is really light so there was no harm done by the concrete. My mishaps are usually clothing and skin related: get a bounce in my pipe while clenching and have had burning tobacco fly out all over me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because they are usually quite light weight, pipes often survive falls you'd think would break them. Not

always, but often. All of my pipe dropping incidents have been with empty bowls, and the pipes didn't

take any damage. The briar is pretty tough and resilient. Stems are more fragile, but can be replaced.

The other day, I was clenching and going for a hat off the hat rack, and dropped a hat on the pipe. I

worried about my teeth for a few seconds, but everything held -- pipe, teeth, and even the hat.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Dropped my meershaum a couple months back. Like Spartan, I am a hacky sacker from way back. My steel toe work boots are not as light as sneakers though. I managed to break the fall, but it skidded forward and hit a steel frame. It now has a hairline spider crack in the bowl about midway down the right side, but she still smokes great. It definitely would have shattered if it was not for muscle memory and reflexes.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I slipped on the ice and snapped the tenon on Peterson today. Odd thing is,before I slipped on the ice,I was thinking about how we were going to address the issue of ice at work this year.

Aug 1, 2012
Once set a Zenith ceramic calabash that I had just smoked for the first time on an end table in my smoking area. Next thing I know, I bump the table and the pipe lost the battle with the concrete. Still sort of sad about that one as I haven't found a good Zenith calabash since.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've dropped a pipe from a small table on to the carpeted floor while cleaning them, and I've dropped a pipe while smoking it because I fumbled it from my mouth. Fortunately I've never damaged any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.