PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Again, if this has been covered as a recent topic, please strike it out.
My comment is not quite what it seems. Like many others I have metaphorically drooled over a coveted pipe, but this is more serious.
Although I have smoked a pipe heavily for more than 12 years I still drool if I clench for any length of time. By that I mean about a minute. Then the slobber starts to wet the pipe stem and drip down my chin! It is particularly a problem when I am preparing the tobacco for my next bowl, and we have already discussed the prep time for plugs.
As a result I have a cloth to wipe down my chin and another for the pipe, and I am now a pretty good one-hand typist!
Am I alone? Is anyone else afflicted by this embarrassing condition? I want to be one of those cool guys who can walk the streets with a continuous one-hour clench! Is there a remedy??

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
The exact same thing happens to me, after about 60 seconds I produce way too much saliva. I figure if you can clench long enough to fiddle around with a book/beer/tea/door then thats good enough haha.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Haha I'm sorry the way you put it was hilarious. I too however have a drooling issue when I TRY to clench a pipe. I usally remove it from my mouth before I start to wet my chin though lol. This is why I don't clench it just doesn't work for me as far as a solution I don't have one but I too am open for suggestions.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
latbomber, good to know I'm not on my lonesome! I can fill a glass of malt or bourbon or crack a can, but I've yet to prepare a bowl of flake, let alone plug in 60 secs!! And a proper brew of tea takes longer. I never answer the house phone or the door when I'm smoking - it drives everyone else nuts!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
You could do what I do and just grow a strapping goatee or beard long enough to catch the drool. I hear it works wonders for keeping facial hair soft and moisturized. Haha I only found this hilarious cause I just pictured how I looked while trying to clench and talking like I was drinking a slurpy lol. Oh man I blame my big lips.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks a lot smokeybear - I've got blisters on my right index finger (from typing) and tramlines down my chin! But I can LOL and squirt drool all over the kitchen table!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Sadly smokeybear we limeys do not pack the testosterone levels you guys do. The last time I tried to grow a beard it looked like an old lady's grey moustache!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Flak we can only laugh my friend since I share the same problem as you and the others in this thread. We can only laugh. I almost spit out my drink reading your post and that rarely happens. Thanks for the laugh and for letting me k ow I wasn't the only one. Lol

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I used to have this problem a lot. I clench the pipe further back in my mouth and that seems to help me... I can go for about ten minutes. Once i tried switching the sides of my mouth; it is a really weird feeling to smoke from the left when you always clench right.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Smokeybear, you should know that in Scotland knitting has for centuries not been regarded as an unmanly pursuit. Maybe you should come here to knit it? I imagine where you come from that you might be derided as one who "plays for the other side"!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks teufelhund I clench left, briefly, and right feel very odd. I think I'll try with the tip of the stem further in, but I'll have to watch out for a gag reflex! LOL - This was intended to be a serious but hopefully also amusing post!!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Yes, petes03, I think that is the basic problem we droolers share; I often wake up with my chin glued to the pillow! LOL - maybe we should form a droolers sub-forum!!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I am not alone. Mercy! Droolers of the piping world unite!! Come out of the slobbery closet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.