Tags:  No tags yet. 

Drooling or Excessive Saliva?

(25 posts)
  • Started 10 months ago by willisk
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

willisk

Login to Send PM

Does it go away in time? I’m going on week 3 and it seems to be easing up some especially with non aromatics!
    It seems that I spit more smoking a pipe ( espesially if I clench ) than I did when I used to chew tobacco lol?

Posted 10 months ago #
  2. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I started smoking a pipe I had excessive saliva when I clenched, especially a heavier pipe. Now, I just hold the heavier pipe. I do fine with a smaller/lighter pipe.

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t remember ever having a problem with excess saliva, but I also always have a cup of coffee, ice water, ice tea or juice with my pipe. Maybe a drink would keep you swallowing till you get your salivation under control. If anything, I think I used to get dry mouth when smoking, because of bite and burn while smoking in the beginning. A warm beverage like coffee might work, because it tends to dry my mouth.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  4. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I started I never had a drink with my pipe and then with the summer heat I started drinking a bottled water or an iced tea. Hmmm...maybe that's it. I thought maybe it was the heavier pipe pulling down my lower lip.

Posted 10 months ago #
  5. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had that problem until I finally learned to quit "puffing" and just breathe through my nose only without drawing in through the mouth hardly at all...except very small occasional sips. Then the saliva stopped flowing.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 10 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good call Brian, that could be it. Puffing and breathing through your mouth while smoking can cause all sorts of bad habits.... well, bad is subjective. I think some guys have reported that they really prefer puffing. Maybe one of those guys will have a different reply about saliva.

Posted 10 months ago #
  7. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I agree that mouth breathing while clenching can increase saliva and drooling. The breath method really does help minimize the dribble. But I have also noticed that some pipes and specific shapes cause more than others. For example, straight billiards seam to smoke dry generally all the time, while full bents tend to cause a bit more drool.

Neal
    Posted 10 months ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've not gotten saliva down the stem. And I think you have to try to do so.

Therefor, I think it may well be condensation in the bottom of the chamber, which can then migrate back up the stem.

Therefor, ergo, summa cappuccino, dry the tobacco a lot more before loading. HTH!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  9. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It happens easily, getting moisture in the stem when I am smoking while working. I tend to mouth breath when exerting. If you only smoke the pipe while, smoking the pipe, you should be able to regulate the saliva somewhat simply by being aware of it and swallowing as needed. Soon it'll be second nature and you will be smoking drier. At least I hope so.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

willisk

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice!! I have not mastered clenching it just don’t feel natural
    Therefore I hold it 90% of the time!! You may be on to something with drying, I’m still learning
    How to tell by feel if it’s dry enough. It’s definately not spit going down stem it’s moisture accumulating
    I’m running a pipe cleaner or two mid bowl. I would think it’s dry enough as I don’t need any delights unless
    Wifey and I are chatting and I let it go out most of the time. But I’m still getting bit once in a while
    And with the extra moisture it tells me it’s not dry enough!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

willisk

Login to Send PM

Also I stopped using a filter after the first week. Does that make a difference?

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I smoke, little or no moisture gets into the stem or bowl mostly. Clenching does exaggerate this, as do heavier pipes. Dental problems and such can aggravate this. Holding the pipe, mostly, will reduce or eliminate it, for purposes of the pipe.

Posted 10 months ago #
  13. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would think it’s dry enough as I don’t need any delights unless
    Wifey and I are chatting and I let it go out most of the time.

This is a family board. We don't want to hear about the delights you share with your wife!

Does this happen with a rather new pipe? I have a Viking Dublin that was a difficult smoke initially. As it was "broken in", moisture matters got fewer and fewer.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 10 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

When I clench my bents, I seem to be constantly wiping off saliva that runs down the outside of the stem and onto the bowl.

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

willisk

Login to Send PM

Lol jay!! That was re lights, gottta love auto correct

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You drooling guys crack me up. Maybe you shouldn’t watch pretty women while you smoke.

Posted 10 months ago #
  17. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought this was going to be another PAD thread.

Posted 10 months ago #
  18. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also had this problem for first few months or so, but it cleared up completely by my second birthday.

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have Savinelli half bent Bulldog and two other half bents, namely,Savinelli and Chacom, but the only one and unique,my Peterson 999 (waterford)Rhodesian does gurgling each and every time when I'm smoking it, weird pipe, isn't it?

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 10 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On rereading, I see I assumed that one was drooling down the stem, which I don't think I've ever done.

So, willisk, has your question been answered? (Yes, I create more saliva when smoking, so more spitting, but not by a lot)

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

willisk

Login to Send PM

Yes my question was answered!! I also upon further reading realized I may not of properly cleaned my estate pipes
    Which could be causing bad taste and there fore more saliva/ spitting so I did a salt treatment on all of my pipes over the last few days
    And that has reduced it some as well!! And I have worked on drying my tobacco more! Also helped some!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

willisk

Login to Send PM

And bonus clean pies equal fresher taste and dryer tobacco equals cooler smoke and more flavor!!
    So in short if one is not afraid to ask questions and comb thru previous posts. There is a wealth of knowledge
    On this forum. Thank you to all who respond to my questions even though some may seem dumb lol

Posted 10 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikejr

Login to Send PM

Perhaps my tobacco is too moist. I don't know if it is or saliva running down the stem, but there is a lot of annotmying moisture. I've always assumed it was saliva. After reading these posts now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know how to yell which it is? Also, how do I know when the tobacco is dry enough fot a cool, dry smoke? Thanks.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fun Fact Of The Day -

* This one should make you wet smokers feel better - "During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two 10 ft. x 10 ft. x 10 ft. swimming pools." (Source: The Internet)

Pipestud
    Posted 4 months ago #
  25. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps my tobacco is too moist. I don't know if it is or saliva running down the stem, but there is a lot of annotmying moisture. I've always assumed it was saliva. After reading these posts now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know how to yell which it is? Also, how do I know when the tobacco is dry enough fot a cool, dry smoke? Thanks.

Sure. Take a freshly loaded bowl. Sit down and light it up. Pay attention, and keep the bowl higher than the bit.

I really doubt many actually drool down their stems.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, laniromee, jpmcwjr, cdmjr, jiminks, danimalia