PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Does it go away in time? I’m going on week 3 and it seems to be easing up some especially with non aromatics!

It seems that I spit more smoking a pipe ( espesially if I clench ) than I did when I used to chew tobacco lol?

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When I started smoking a pipe I had excessive saliva when I clenched, especially a heavier pipe. Now, I just hold the heavier pipe. I do fine with a smaller/lighter pipe.

I don’t remember ever having a problem with excess saliva, but I also always have a cup of coffee, ice water, ice tea or juice with my pipe. Maybe a drink would keep you swallowing till you get your salivation under control. If anything, I think I used to get dry mouth when smoking, because of bite and burn while smoking in the beginning. A warm beverage like coffee might work, because it tends to dry my mouth.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When I started I never had a drink with my pipe and then with the summer heat I started drinking a bottled water or an iced tea. Hmmm...maybe that's it. I thought maybe it was the heavier pipe pulling down my lower lip.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I had that problem until I finally learned to quit "puffing" and just breathe through my nose only without drawing in through the mouth hardly at all...except very small occasional sips. Then the saliva stopped flowing.

Reactions: BROBS and dcicero

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Yeah, I agree that mouth breathing while clenching can increase saliva and drooling. The breath method really does help minimize the dribble. But I have also noticed that some pipes and specific shapes cause more than others. For example, straight billiards seam to smoke dry generally all the time, while full bents tend to cause a bit more drool.

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've not gotten saliva down the stem. And I think you have to try to do so.
Therefor, I think it may well be condensation in the bottom of the chamber, which can then migrate back up the stem.
Therefor, ergo, summa cappuccino, dry the tobacco a lot more before loading. HTH!

Reactions: chopper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It happens easily, getting moisture in the stem when I am smoking while working. I tend to mouth breath when exerting. If you only smoke the pipe while, smoking the pipe, you should be able to regulate the saliva somewhat simply by being aware of it and swallowing as needed. Soon it'll be second nature and you will be smoking drier. At least I hope so.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for all the helpful advice!! I have not mastered clenching it just don’t feel natural

Therefore I hold it 90% of the time!! You may be on to something with drying, I’m still learning

How to tell by feel if it’s dry enough. It’s definately not spit going down stem it’s moisture accumulating

I’m running a pipe cleaner or two mid bowl. I would think it’s dry enough as I don’t need any delights unless

Wifey and I are chatting and I let it go out most of the time. But I’m still getting bit once in a while

And with the extra moisture it tells me it’s not dry enough!!

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Also I stopped using a filter after the first week. Does that make a difference?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I smoke, little or no moisture gets into the stem or bowl mostly. Clenching does exaggerate this, as do heavier pipes. Dental problems and such can aggravate this. Holding the pipe, mostly, will reduce or eliminate it, for purposes of the pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I would think it’s dry enough as I don’t need any delights unless

Wifey and I are chatting and I let it go out most of the time.
This is a family board. We don't want to hear about the delights you share with your wife! :nana:
Does this happen with a rather new pipe? I have a Viking Dublin that was a difficult smoke initially. As it was "broken in", moisture matters got fewer and fewer.
jay-roger.jpg

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
When I clench my bents, I seem to be constantly wiping off saliva that runs down the outside of the stem and onto the bowl.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have Savinelli half bent Bulldog and two other half bents, namely,Savinelli and Chacom, but the only one and unique,my Peterson 999 (waterford)Rhodesian does gurgling each and every time when I'm smoking it, weird pipe, isn't it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
On rereading, I see I assumed that one was drooling down the stem, which I don't think I've ever done.
So, willisk, has your question been answered? (Yes, I create more saliva when smoking, so more spitting, but not by a lot)