PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Hello everybody,
I have just sold my mid-century modern house in California, designed and built by Joseph Eichler, himself inspired by a Frank LLoyd Wright house he lived in during the 1940's.
This week I will be loading a truck full of books, computers, 200 lbs of pipe tobacco and two cats.
Then begins the great trek east from California to Massachusetts, mainly on interstate 80 which morphs into 90 after Cleveland.
Can anybody recommend tobacconists or places to enjoy a pipe en route?
Thanks for any suggestions.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@rsuninv: yes, there is some boring topography on the way. For a nic hit, I'll smoke some GLPease Jackknife Plug;)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
stbruno tell us about that blend. Is it real, or is your avatar artwork? I just searched five online sites and none carry it. How much of your 200lb is St Bruno?
Tinner

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
St Bruno's Flake, originally made at the Ogden factory in Liverpool, is a traditional British smoke.
If you are in the USA, then you won't find any as it has not been imported since the 90's. Neither will the UK tobacconists accept USA credit cards. If you want some, go look at Spanish and Swiss tobacco sites - sorry I just do not remember their names off-hand.
Not enough of my stash is St Bruno, which I replenish on trips back to Blighty. The largest representatives by percentage are GL Pease and the tribe of Gawith. In fact, if I could get only GL Pease, I would still have a wonderful variety of great baccy.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Wow Mason! What a life change! Since I get to Boston several times a year more than SF, I can more frequently connect with you (at Peretti's) than I've been able to with the Golden Gate Club. I can't always adjust my Left Coast trips to match the meeting dates. For that matter, I have yet to make a Sherlock Holmes PC. Maybe we should join forces and storm that fortress.
FWIW, my daughter who lives 2 blocks away from Peretti's got a place in SF this summer and is spending a few months at both places. I haven't quite adjusted to that move yet since ffishing trips get in the way.
At least for you, your trips across the pond will be 4-5-6 hrs shorter. Drive carefully.
hp

les

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Geneva Ohio is a nice little place on Lake Erie. In fact, you will think you are in a small east coast beach town. Stop there by the lake and smoke a pipe. It should not be too far off route 80.
If you were going south through Cincinnati, I could give you tobacconist recommendations. But oh well.
Nice house! I wish I lived there. I love California.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
If it were up to me, I would avoid the interstate whenever possible and drive the roads and highways roughly parallel to it. For me this would be a once in a lifetime drive and I would want to make the most of it. Plus, the interstate can make you sleepy while lesser roads keep your brain engaged. The time differential between the two routes is not so much.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@lestrout: yes, we will be able to visit more often when I'm installed in New England. We will meet up at Peretti's for sure and see what the Sherlock Holmes PC is like.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@curl: I have gone off the interstate before and agree with you that there is much more to see and experience that way. I plan on doing that in Illinois and Indiana.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries on Wabash in downtown Chicago, if you are going near the city. It's been in Chicago since 1857,

and the store is a sort of pipe shop shrine. Nat Sherman, another venerable tobacco shop, in NYC if you go near there.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Downtown Cleveland has Cousin's Cigars. It's perhaps 3 minutes off I-90, St. Clair at E. 14th St. Use the E. 9 St exit, turn left on St. Clair and it will be on your left on the far side of E. 14th. Sam is the usual host. Nice guy. Mostly cigar smokers (what else is new?) but they do have a nice selection of tinned blends as well as a number of their own blends, most of which are McClelland bulks. They open at 10 AM.
Safe trip. It isn't an exciting journey for the most part, at least until you get to Utah (IMHO).
Mike S.

truenorth

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
After you stop in Chicago and get your tobacco, and emerge from the bowels of the city and pass Gary you will find yourself on the Indiana Tollway. Take Exit 77 to Notre Dame. Go straight through the first light onto Douglas road. Go about a mile and park in the visitor's lot on the East side of campus. Walk past the Library and Touchdown Jesus towards the Golden Dome. There are numerous places on campus where a bench can be found on a tree-line walk with something there to contemplate. I have been to all 50 states and 15 other countries, including most of the "great" American cities, but the "God Quad" of Notre Dame with the Dome, Basillica, and The Grotto, is my favorite place in the world. Campus is just a mile south of the Interstate and it is easy to get to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you hit the blue highways (non-interstate), and if you have the time, that might be the place

to stop at antique shops out in the small towns to see if they have pipes. I think the Midwest may

be more fertile territory than the Southeast, which seems to be more cigarette country. I have yet

to hit any sort of pickings for pipes -- either it's nothing or it's worn out undistinguished machine

pipes.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I agree with the sentiment of taking old US or state highways over interstates, but if you're heavily laden, remember that interstates top out at 6% grade, and the other roads have no restrictions. I chugged up a 9% grade in southeast Montana on US-212 when I moved out here and wished I hadn't.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Driving cross country I was, quite coincidentally listening to Handel's Messiah, and the words were: "every valley shall be exalted, every mountain shall be made low," and the thought came into mind: "My God, then it'll all look like Nebraska." By the way, crossing into Nebraska, my GPS did something rather strange. The display showed a vertical line representing the highway, and a horizontal line representing the state line. Nothing else. Have a wonderful trip! BTW, if you decide on a course deviation, I can give you a nice welcome in Connecticut. Turn right at Massachusetts and you'll be there. Otherwise well have to meet up at Peretti's.

Status
Not open for further replies.