PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Today's cold gray weather called for a piping hot drink, and so I brewed a cup of Lapsang Souchong tea. This is purportedly the original Chinese black tea, and is flavored with smoke from a pine fire.
The aroma of this tea reminds me very much of Latakia tobacco. My wife finds it to be revolting; I find it to be ambrosial. To me having a cup is the equivalent of drinking Latakia, and a delightful experience. If you have not already done so, give it a go!

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Lapsang souchong is one of the great teas and in my rotation. I rotate teas just as I do pipe tobaccos.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I dink my coffee black and I like it strong what kind of pipe tobacco would you relate that to haha :P

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If you like Lapsang Souchong, try and find some mountain oolongs that are charcoal fire roasted. Tung Ting and Da Hong Pao are ones that can often be found traditional fire roasted. They share the smokiness but, in my opinion, have a superior tea flavor behind it. I also find that Pu-erh is a great match for smokey tobaccos. Just make sure if you are making an oolong not to burn it. Most oolongs steep at a lower temp than black teas. Just my 2 cents as an ex Chinese tea seller, nothing wrong with Lapsang of course.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Alright huntertrw you have sparked my interest.

I am not a tea drinker as I have not tried anything other than the stuff they sell at the grocery, but I do love Latakia, sooo Where can I order this tea from?

It sounds like something worth trying.

Thanks in advance.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
http://www.goldenmoontea.com/lapsang-souchong.html

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?UTid=4712-20-21992630&afterCart=/shopcart/item.asp&itemID=ZS80

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I am not a huge fan of Latakia, and when I first tried Lapsang Souchong I could only think of Latakia. It is in my tea rotation, but it is not something I drink often. I smoke only Va/Per tobacco and my tea of choice is China Black (Yunnan) tea which I find to be an excellent tea to drink with my Va/Pers. It has a natural honey sweetness that just suits the sweetness of the Virginia tobaccos that I smoke.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Love me some Lapsang! I haven't had it in a while but I can't stop ravibg about it!
I'm also big of Double Smoked Danish Bacon. Anything smoked just seems to taste better.
Latakia, the ironic tobacco, smoked tobacco!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
bulldogbriar89 said:
I dink my coffee black and I like it strong what kind of pipe tobacco would you relate that to haha
I always note that the second half of my PS Balkan Supreme smoke has a very rich coffee-like taste.
Tea is something I frequently enjoy with a pipe. I'd love to try Souchong sometime.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have enjoyed it in the past, but for the most part, I enjoy oolong, pu-erh, ablnd white tea.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Love Lapsang. The two I drink the most are from M.T. Wendell, Hu-Kwa and Chinese Lapsang. I prefer the Hu-Kwa, it has a lighter smoke and I think the Formosan leaves are a better base tea than the Chinese version. But when you want in your face smokiness, the Chinese is a champ.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, Lapsang Souchon... Lovely stuff. Given that I like stouts and porters among beers, Lapsang Souchon among teas, and Laphroaig among Scotches, it was somewhat inevitable that I'd gravitate toward Latakia tobacco blends.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Have you ever tried (or heard of) smoked beers? Not quite the same flavor as Lapsang but still a nice smokey characteristic. I recently discovered Lapsang at an anime convention and as soon as I smelled it I thought latakia... so naturally I bought an oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.