Drinking and Driving over this Festive Season.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
With the Holidays upon us, I would like to share a personal experience with you guys about drinking and driving. Some of us might have had a brush or two with the authorities on the way home after a "social session" out with friends.
Well, two days ago I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails, followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly, I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit. That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a cab home.
Sure enough, on the way home there was a police road block, but since it was a cab they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident. This was a real surprise, as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it, and now that it's in my garage, I don't know what to do with it.

:nana:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You did the only thing you could under the circumstances Lawrence. You were obviously in no shape to walk.
This earns you an honorary membership in DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers).

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I thought you guys would like that.
drunk4zc.gif

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I fine jokes about drinking and driving quite offensive, as I was killed by a drunk driver.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
You may have stumbled onto a way for a career alcoholic to evade authorities. I bet a taxi with 3 million miles on it could be picked up for quite cheap.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'll give you a shameful story that cured me of drinking and driving. This is the worst thing I've ever done. Sometimes I'd buy a 32oz Miller and sip it on the way home from college. Open container was legal in TX in those days (not drinking though).
On this occasion, I picked up a hitchhiker and had to drive him way south to his grandmother's house. What I didn't realize was, I had much more time to sip on that Miller. I woke up still in my car. Doing about 70. Backwards. On the wrong side of the freeway. It's only by grace or chance I didn't kill anyone. And that cured me of drinking and driving.
I was a body man in the late eighties repairing wrecked cars and have seen my share of blood spatter all over the headliner and tufts of hair and skin in the windshield. Use that designated driver idea folks, and have some safe and happy holiday puffing.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Wow simnett, your story is hard to believe! I can't believe you are still alive either. I once was really tired and drove the wrong way down a highway, didn't take me very long to realize it and drive right for the median (snow & grass covered). One really nice fellow used his truck to block traffic while I turned my car around and drove off. Being tired I feel is every bit as dangerous as being drunk or even more, but we don't hear about how many die to that and there ain't no meter to see when someone is over the limit there...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm glad you guys picked up on the "real" intent of my post.

I knew that joke was funny, but I just wanted everyone to be aware that drinking and driving is a no-no.

We want all of our Members to be around for a long-long time.
And in my case... none of that story is true.
To quote Charlie Daniels in "Uneasy Rider":

I ain't even got a garage... You can call home and ask my wife!
Please be safe everyone.

Thanks guys.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.