PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Last night I got a few pipes at a local auction, one of the pipes is a 9 inch long lumberman. On doing a initial cleaning I noticed the drilling is way off center in the bowl. Instead of being in the middle of the bowl, its very far to the left of bowl. Almost to the point of touching the side of bowl. I have never really had one this far off. So I have a question! Anyone with knowledge, does this affect the pipe smoking/burning in any way? It didn't have a stem so I would have to have one made. So is it worth the cost and work making it good again, or do they smoke bad? I would post a pic, but its taking a salt bath now!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a couple of pipes that are drilled off-center. A Peterson and 2 Rattrays. They smoke fine but I can't pass a pipe cleaner through the stem while smoking them. I put up with them but will never buy either make again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It'll smoke just fine if that's the only defect. You can even test it without a stem, a bit cumbersome, but you'd get an idea how she smokes before $ for a replacement stem.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Last night I got a few pipes at a local auction, one of the pipes is a 9 inch long lumberman. On doing a initial cleaning I noticed the drilling is way off center in the bowl. Instead of being in the middle of the bowl, its very far to the left of bowl. Almost to the point of touching the side of bowl. I have never really had one this far off. So I have a question! Anyone with knowledge, does this affect the pipe smoking/burning in any way? It didn't have a stem so I would have to have one made. So is it worth the cost and work making it good again
No. If it had a stem I'd say smoke it and see, what've you got to lose? But I wouldn't spend money having a stem made for it.
I have a couple of pipes that are drilled off-center. A Peterson and 2 Rattrays. They smoke fine but I can't pass a pipe cleaner through the stem while smoking them. I put up with them but will never buy either make again.
Ditto, all the Peterson systems I had except for one looked like they were drilled by a blind man with palsy. I kept the one that accidentally got drilled on-center (also coincidentally, not a system), got rid of the rest and likewise will never buy a Peterson again.

Reactions: kokomanga
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Altering the airway can cause serious problems. An experienced pro like George could probably do it but it's not something the average guy should undertake. What you will end up with will be far worse than the off-centered problem. In most cases it really doesn't have a significant impact on the smoking qualities.

Here is a site where you can get a replacement bit. You will have to fit it yourself.

http://www.pipemakers.org/tools01.html

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
No problem. You may need to adjust your packing and or tamping to compensate for any burn problems, if there is any.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I've spent my whole damned life off center, with no problems to speak of. :puffy:

8e6b6eea7ad80fc6bfbfeeb9f9b1af12.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The Dr Grabow I've been smoking all day long has the draft hole almost touching the side of the bowl. No issues. I promise.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The Dr Grabow I've been smoking all day long has the draft hole almost touching the side of the bowl. No issues
I've got a few estate pipes that are drilled off center and would never know by the way they smoke. As far as passing a pipe cleaner, I take them apart to clean so that doesn't matter to me. I'm of the opinion that a pipe doesn't have to be designed by NASA or someone at MIT to smoke properly. It's just not an issue with me or I'm just to stupid to notice the difference. :mrgreen:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Thanks guys, it just looks so damn cool, I can now see its a Wally Frank pipe. There is another a very short fat bulldogish pipe stamped IAPSC 1951..(also taking a bath)kinda excited about that one too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About the off-center drilled pipe, I'd ask how excited you are about the pipe otherwise. If you like it well enough, paying $30 to have a new stem made by an experienced pipe repairman who can adapt the stem to the off-center airway would be worth it. I'd just ask yourself, is it worth it? If it is, good; if it isn't, good.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Dr. Watson, You have the pipe. I would say, get a stem to fit it (or just jury-rig one temporarily) then you will be in a perfect position to know. Personally, I don't think it so critical and blindfolded, the owner would probably never know, but it sticks in the craw of some people because of OCD on wanting things RIGHT, especially if it is a quality brand they paid good money for (but new, you could always send back). Me, I've bought lots of estates sight unseen, often for as little as $11.00 shipping included and have yet to get a pipe that was noticeably off center. I'm damned lucky. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.