PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
So, I have this new pipe. The pipe cleaner does pass through the stem and shank. I can see it pass all the way to the bottom of the bowl, but It doesn't angle out of the pipe like on all my others. It's almost like the pipe cleaner gets stuck in a minuscule nook and won't angle out...
I did a lot of research, I spoke with smoking pipes three times and I spent a lot of money on this pipe because I truly wanted a good meerschaum.
I am wary of this drilling. I am afraid this is a possible gurgler or that the hole could get plugged... I can pass a pipe cleaner through and out of every pipe I have. As I said, with this pipe I can only get it to slide 180 degrees... it won't push out of the bowl.
It's a Bekler AKB.
Did I provide enough info? Should this be a concern for a Meerschaum?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It sounds like it's drilled a little low, which as far as I know is acceptable (within reason) and shouldn't cause any major issues. If you haven't smoked it and it concerns you then I would return it. I have returned a couple unsmoked briar pipes because I wasn't happy with the drilling. I can't speak to meerschaum specifically.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I really would not worry about it. Warren's advice will probably get the pipe cleaner where you want it, but I don't hear anything that worrisome in your description of the current situation. If you know the drilling is going to aggravate you for years to come, follow the advice of Mr. Longname and return the pipe.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tango:
Please take the advice from the man who gets his hair trimmed in front of a Spitfire. (And from Warren and Mr. Longname as well.)
If the pass through pipe cleaner journey worries you before the first smoke, it'll eat on you for the rest of your life.
Fnord

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Put just the slightest bend in one end of the cleaner. Push the bent end in first and gently twist as you push when it reaches the bowl. Might work. Works on a couple of my bents, one a meer.

This. I can get a pipe cleaner through each and every one of my pipes with this method and I own a lot of pipes.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for the advice.
After trying 8 pipe cleaners, I was able to get one to go all the way through in and out.
I will only be bothered by ONE thing... and that is if it smokes poorly. For three hundred bucks, I expect the pipe to be well engineered and to smoke well.

I don't care if the pipe cleaner thing doesn't indicate compromised smoking quality.
I don't see myself as the kind of person who will frequently spend this much on a pipe. I don't need Dunhills etc... I just really wanted a meer that was going to be high quality and to give me all of those great smoking qualities that meers are able to give you.
The shape, fit and feel of the pipe are superb.
If there was gunk in the pipe and stem, I am sure the pipe cleaner would expel it... my concern is if the drilling is poor or if this drilling is unacceptable on a "good" pipe.
From the comments so far, it sounds like this is not a big deal and that this should not affect the way the pipe smokes.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
The screw thing of common meer mortise/tenon would simply screws the smoke. I would only use a meer that use the same engineering setup as briar pipes, like F.Baki or IMP ...

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Maybe I'm not as picky about this as some others may be, but if you can pass a pipe cleaner from the button to the bottom of the bowl, I would say the drilling is spot on. It's never occurred to me to reach into the bowl and pull the pipe cleaner all the way through. In a meer, I would be concerned that over time this practice would wear away material, enlarging the hole in the bottom of the bowl.

I have heard several pipe makers say that the pipecleaner test was an antiquated way to make guys buying a pipe in a pipe shop that was not allowed to put the pipe to their mouth feel better about the engineering. There weren't many other litmus tests, and just having the two holes meet must have been a big deal back in this era. But, I don't think that just passing a cleaner is going to guarantee the pipe doesn't gurgle, as the gurgle can come from various other variables, most of which are operator issues with drawing too hard on a bent stem. And, having a draft drilled too low in the chamber on some pipe designs. I don't even try to pass a cleaner through my pipes before buying. Even in checking the most expensive pipes made by Former, you'd be surprised at how few of his $2,000+ pipes don't pass a cleaner. But, some pipe shops still use this as a way of demonstrating the engineering to make a sale. So, the idea will prevail...

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
All but one of the pipe makers I've interviewed over the past several years said the pipe cleaner test is a myth, as Cosmic said. However, if it bothers you it probably always will. This is one of those moments where you have to know yourself. This problem could provide a placebo effect that will cause you to think the pipe doesn't smoke perfectly, even if it does. None of us can answer that one for you, it's knowing your own quirks. Good luck, whatever you decide!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Being able to pass a pipecleaner all the way down to the bowl may be a myth as far as judging how it will smoke, but it is essential with any pipe not equipped with a military bit because if you get a gurgle or a clog there's going to be no way to solve it wtihout pulling the stem (not good practice with a standard tenon) or aborting the smoke and dumping the bowl. I would not ever buy any bent pipe that didn't pass a pipecleaner to the bottom of the bowl.
Requiring a pipe to have the ability to pass a pipecleaner all the way out through the bowl is inane. I don't even know if any of my pipes will do that, and in 4 decades I've never tried. What's the point?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Only issue is wetness buildup in this scenario. If it clogs with tobacco you should be able to detect that before you light. If it gets wet, simply pass a cleaner through midsmoke, the cleaner will sop up any accumulated moisture collected in this area. There really is no need for the cleaner to go all the way into the bowl.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think the only time(s) I have had a wee bit of the blend block the draft it was due to packing the first tier too dense. I usually tamp very lightly but, I can be distracted and screw it up. The "Double Breasted Sweater Stretcher" can be as distracting as an eagle taking an Ermine.

I almost always suck a small leaf down my throat on the first draw. But, I have yet (knock on wood) to clog the draft. But, I can see it happening. Actually, I will most likely end up doing this now that I know that it's on the table as an option, ha ha. Or maybe, it is a positive aspect of me just using the codger scoop to pack my pipes.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
If you take care to not drizzle the small pieces into the bottom of the bowl when you start, you should be ok. The old codger stuff method tends to prevent this as you usually shove large pieces/clumps in all at once, preventing the small pieces from working their way down to the draft hole.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for all of the answers etc...
I chatted with smokingpipes and they insisted that I send it back for repair or as a defect... They'll take a look.
I'm still getting a Meerqueen...
"This problem could provide a placebo effect that will cause you to think the pipe doesn't smoke perfectly, even if it does. "
lol... it would! I should know better because I'm a psychology teacher ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.