PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
I am currently looking at a Dr.Grabow estate pipe.

Any comments? Good bad? It is cheap and needs a little love.
Thanks

-Cody Maske
Edit: Moved to Pipe Talk, L

eddy

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
AZ
I have purchased several estates. I have found them to be fine, some smoke better than others, but if you are a new smoker or just want to save $$$, they are fine.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
masked1; send us a link, who is the seller, it all matters
i currently have a grabow starfire and a lorenzo spitfire in the mail on route right now, I paid 16.00 shippin included for the starfire but it was also unsmoked and its older

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
Here is a link to the particular pipe im looking at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Pipe-Dr-Grabow-Duke-Imported-Briar-Italy-/320732848817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad2ae2b1

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i dont care for that one mate i would prefer these but thats just my opion, look at the diff in the condition and more pictures available also free shipping even tho they r a few more dollars.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3902.m570.l1313&_nkw=deny%27s+smokers&_sacat=See-All-Categories

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
masked1 In my opinion that pipe is not worth the cost of obtaining it and postage. You can do better on fleabay than that.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
@masked1

That Duke you have linked could be a fine smoker. After it was cleaned of course.
For another $7 the pipes fisher has linked wouldn't be a bad way to go at all. They appear to have been cleaned up well. The unsmoked Regal would be a real winner for the BIN price.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Maybe considering heading over to the Dr.Grabow forums and asking if those guys might have what youre looking for. They're a friendly bunch and you'd be sure of getting a nice pipe at a fair price.
http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/forum9.php

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like the other options nsfisher posted, most of those don't need any more work. I paid $10 for my Regal Adjustomatic, but it took some effort to shine the stem (I like doing that and had the supplies). It smokes quite well, for a modest investment. Mine has a 1964 patent on it, so I'm guessing it is from the late 60's-70's and the briar is no doubt better than the new ones (stem as well, it is wonderful) Those stem speckles just would not come off, although I may make another attempt with some wet sandpaper (used micromesh only the 1st time) Good luck, Grabows are a lot of fun and pipe for only about a $20 investment.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Not sure how cheap it is, but around here a new one is $30. I asked not long ago about them & was told 'stay away from new ones, but estate g's are pretty good'...tifwiw. I decided to go with estate pipes from that advice, wound up with a couple kwoodies & a carey magic inch that im quite happy with, ive been thinking the past few days about a new pipe, went yesterday to the place i originally saw the dr g's, for another $20 bucks they have a rather nice stanwell that's calling to me.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
nice regal there Al, i can hardly wait to git my starfire, it too is an older model and was unsmoked!! 16.50 including shipping was a good buy, as shipping here in canada runs 25 bucks from P&C and 10.00 plus from most on e-bay. It was shipped on Jan 4 so should soon b here. Oh yea, its also an adjustamatic

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Sorry evidently had a laps in the forum, there were only 2 posts when I posted then suddenly there were like 12. The estates I got were actually in Ben wheeler tx, its about a 15 min drive from here, one kwood I got was $10 & much nicer. IMHO...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't give $12.00 for that pipe and I love Grabows. The Duke was (is) one of Grabows lowest priced pipes. They are good smokers. The Italian made Dukes(and Larks and some Rivieras) are more putty then briar sometimes.

One thing I like about buying estate Grabows is that you can find pipes that are no longer made,and IMHO are better pipes than some of the newer ones. You can't go to Walgreens or any other store and buy a Viscount.Starfire,Emperor or Westbrook Dr. Grabow.The older pipes were also available in a greater variety of shapes and finishes.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've seen some older Doc Grabow's that are a bit more aesthetically than they modern counterparts of the same model.
But if all you're trying to do is save money ... I don't think this is a great buy, even for $12 + shipping. The bit has been chewed to the point where it's easy to see the oxidation of the vulcanite.
I have nothing against a used pipe, I have a used Savinelli myself that was in great shape after purchase.
But you have your choice of many, many Dr Grabow pipes under $30 brand new, so why go used?
My vote is 'nay', I would either keep looking for another estate pipe or save a little bit more money and get a new briar for a little more $$$

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I agree with Zanthal. That pipe was nothing special, even it $12.
If all you can spend is $12 + shipping, buy a brand new cob. Or, better yet if you can, delay your gratification, save your pennies, and get a better quality estate pipe. :puffy:

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Don't even need an estate to have a good quality pipe for not even that much more than a Dr. G:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=93189
It's a far cry from $12 but it's worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.