PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

montalslog

Lurker
Jan 21, 2016
Has anyone tried these? I picked up a few tins on clearance from Cigars International with a gift card I got for Xmas.
Gatsby Luxury Flake

Harvest on Hudson

Grand Central
I'm assuming they're relatively unpopular, as they were on clearance, but would love some input on what to expect if someone has tried them before.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only one that I've tried is the Gatsby Luxury Flake which, by coincidence, I was smoking this evening. I like it a lot, but not as an everyday, much less an all day smoke. It's strongly topped with what tastes to me like primarily a geranium topping with some other extracts. I happen to like geranium, but it's not for everyone. The underlying Virginias are very good quality.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I picked up some Central Park and Heirloom on the same deal. Open the CP and smoked yesterday, Meh. Not a goopy OTC mess but not McClelland Labrador either. Kind of in between. Jim gave it one star. PM me I'll send it to you so you can try first, if we haven't scared you away lol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I may be off on the Geranium. Maybe more peach and pineapple and other stuff. Maybe all of this and more. In any event, I think it's good for the occasional smoke as a change of pace and am glad to have a bit jarred.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was looking at the Gatsby but decided no. It aroused my curiosity, and the price was low, but there are so many other blends that sound more interesting, and I have so many (frankly better seeming) tins unopened, I didn't go for it.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo mo
Actually, I'm quite a fan of the Gatsby Flake. I was buying it for the Top200 Cellar even before it went on sale. To me, the topping is unobtrusive, way less than Erinmore. I'm starting to get away from my disdain for aros, ever since I decided almost all blends are cased.
hp

les

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I have also only had Gatsby, and I like it a lot. The topping doesn't come across as very string to me and I like it in any case.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Central Park Stroll is my favorite. I purchased 10 tins of it during the sale. I still have Harvest Hudson from 3 years ago that I really dislike.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
Just to clarify, Gatsby Luxury Flake is NOT an aromatic; it is a Navy Flake. It is actually one of the two tobaccos Drew Estates makes that is not an aro. People have compared it to Orlik GS (Orlik has a touch of perique, while GLF has a touch of toasted cavendish), but a tad more flavorful (the aro confusion?).
I have gone through 6-8 tins of the stuff, and like it. I have tried 7th Ave Blonde and Harvest on Hudson, both were acceptable (not a huge aro guy). Apple aros are not all that common, with this one being stronger in apple flavor than Solani 127: Green Label. I smoke everything, but favor VaPers and VAs, so I smokle aros, but they are the least of what I smoke. Grand Central Station I found horrid, lol, and tossed the tin (life is too short to suffer tobacco that doesn't suit me, especially when less than $10 a tin - If I waste $50-$100 per year tossing out tobacco I don't like, well, when one is a Cob Snob, one can afford to do such with no regrets of 'wasted money').

montalslog

Lurker
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for all the replies!
Package was delivered today, so I'll get to try them out, looking forward to it based on what you've all contributed.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Drew Estates doesn't make pipe tobacco. Their pipe tobacco line is manufactured by STG (Orlik), so there is most likely an analog for this in the STG lineup.

montalslog

Lurker
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for that info!
That'll make sourcing additional quantity easier after seeing how these turn out to my palate.
Also gives me some confidence in the quality as well, it made sense to me that they were essentially re-badging, but I didn't dig too deep into whose line it was.
Even more excited for my evening bowls now.

Status
Not open for further replies.