50 plugs of Warrior would cost me roughly $1,000,

and it's made in Denmark for chrissake.
Oh what I'd give for the pukka stuff!
:puffy:
1SPbp4Y.jpg

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Despite my Grandfather and Great Grandfather serving in war, they don't know how lucky they were with regards to their tobacco!

May 31, 2012
Made in Denmark???
British American Tobacco shut down and closed the Murray's factory in 2005, then shifted their brands to Orlik for production in Denmark, and in the process BAT also pruned their brand catalog by deciding to discontinue Potomac Plug, Garryowen Plug, and Golden Bar Plug.
See here for further details:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/irish-plug-tobacco-a-pictorial-amp-historical-survey-of-their-far-famed-renown#post-844064
yTgwCRQ.jpg

U0VHigv.jpg

May 31, 2012
50 X 1/8 lb. plugs = 6.25 lb. of tobacco for > $120 ???????
Somebody with math skillz help me here. :oops:
I'm a nonmatho as well as me 'n numbers gotta war 'gainst ea. other LOL

I suck at mathematics.
I think the price =
24 pounds / 15 shillings / 10 pence
...and whatever that may have been in 1920?
Roughly around the price of a Dunhill pipe?
But,

I'm not sure of any of this!

:oops:

May 31, 2012
Today,

50 plugs of Warrior would cost me roughly $1,000,

and it's made in Denmark for chrissake.
Oh what I'd give for the pukka stuff!
That was a close rough estimate at the MrSnuff / Pipe Divan rates,

but I finally got with the good program and now get my WARRIOR from Glynn Quelch,

and 50 plugs from him would be about $650.

A very nice savings!
GoFundMe.com,

here I come!

May 31, 2012
Always love seeing old tobacco stuff like that. I'd frame that to hang in The Smoking Library.
Ditto.
The billhead ain't mine but I did have an oppo to get it because it was on the 'bay, sorta regret not pulling the trigger on it but often I must tell myself I can live without it, I don't need it, because my budget is limited and I must instill some sort of controlled discipline, especially in regards to paper ephemera or old empty tins because I am tempted too much and too often, and in such cases I will be very happy and content to just save the images to my archive --- I think this billhead would have ran $20 including postage if I'm remembering right, so I decided to pass...
...but there are some items though, which I am simply incapable of passing up,

like this absolutely incredible and scarce metal shelf-edge sign:
K30iUyP.jpg

oZvKLwX.jpg

cULx8I2.jpg

dno4V2I.jpg

...or this fabulous old advertising poster:
vfas5rm.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK everyone. The bill is for Twenty Four Pounds, Fifteen Shillings & Ten Pence. So you first have to understand pre-decimal British money. Prior to 1971 there were 240 Penny's to a Pound Sterling, Twenty Shillings to a Pound and Twelve Penny's to a Shilling so a Six Pence was Six Penny's. Are you with me so far? Good. So if we divide the cost as shown each pound weight would have cost Ten Shillings and Three Farthings as their were Four Farthings to a Penny. Now there are Sixteen Oz. to One Imperial Pound so armed with our pre-decimal knowledge each plug was Three Shillings and Six Pence or 3/6- per one oz plug. Converted into modern day currency that would equal about $0.31 per plug. Go grab your time machines boys!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Crazy to think now looking at those prices, but the tobacco houses were getting huge profits at the time. Where as now their margins are tiny thanks to the tax man.

We here in the U.K. Are lucky to have any tobacco houses left at all!

May 31, 2012
OK everyone. The bill is for Twenty Four Pounds, Fifteen Shillings & Ten Pence. So you first have to understand pre-decimal British money. Prior to 1971 there were 240 Penny's to a Pound Sterling, Twenty Shillings to a Pound and Twelve Penny's to a Shilling so a Six Pence was Six Penny's. Are you with me so far? Good. So if we divide the cost as shown each pound weight would have cost Ten Shillings and Three Farthings as their were Four Farthings to a Penny. Now there are Sixteen Oz. to One Imperial Pound so armed with our pre-decimal knowledge each plug was Three Shillings and Six Pence or 3/6- per one oz plug. Converted into modern day currency that would equal about $0.31 per plug. Go grab your time machines boys!
Many thanks for that, it makes total sense and the way you delineated it put it all graspable in my mind --- my feeble mind which has severe shortcomings with regards to fractional math and the pre-decimal LSD.
If my time machine was working and it was operated by a particularly mean ferryman like the guy on the River Styx and would only allow my travel on the condition that I only had one choice and that was my only option --- the choice being 50 Warrior Plugs or a Dunhill pipe, (both being roughly the same price)--- I'd choose the Warrior in a heartbeat without any hesitation, you know, 1920 Dunhills are a dime a dozen even if they do fetch upper-range prices, why would I want yet another stupid old pipe? Gimme the good stuff! The essence of what pipesmoking is all about, the actual baccy...
...and Belfast-made Warrior Plug from that era would be about as close as I'm ever probably to get to the Godhead on earth.
:)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
+ 1000 MLC I couldn't agree with you more. It took me about 5 minutes to dig out my Webster's Ready Reckoner Booklet from 1968 which had all the tables for working out price per weight in L S D = Pounds, Shillings and Pence and not some interesting micro dot for taking cool 'trips' !

May 31, 2012
I would be surprised if a Dunhill back then cost anything near that much.
25 pounds was the going rate back then, which was about double that of "normal" pipes.
It's yet another testament to Alfred's innate abilities as a marketing genius.
Other tobacconists scoffed at him and predicted that he'd shortly be out of business with such a premium pricing strategy,

time has told otherwise.

:)

May 31, 2012
Does X/Y mean pounds/shillings ? Or shillings/pence ? Big difference.
That's a very good question,

I may be incorrect in my assumptions there.
Hopefully Condorlover may know and clue us in.

May 31, 2012
Bill,

I think it actually may have been shillings/pence,

my mistake.
I stand corrected.

:oops:
How much was 25 shillings?
Here's a page from a 1951 catalogue, and if a SSG cost as low as £ 7 at that time,

it is highly unlikely that in 1920 a Bruyere would run £ 25...
7X082bih.jpg

:
:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
L.S.D stands for Libre which was Latin for Pound, the S stood for Shilling and D was Latin for Denarii with 'D' representing Penny which after decimalisation was replaced with the symbol 'P' for Pence. Twenty Five Shillings was One Pound and Five Shillings or One and a Quarter Pounds or more correctly One Pound and One Crown as a Crown was half a Soveriegn or Ten Bob. Twenty One Shillings was a Guinea a unit of billing beloved by Doctors and Surgeons. Bet you are all confused now! :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.